Author Topic: XP User can' register  (Read 6969 times)

Offline monty

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
XP User can' register
« on: April 06, 2007, 07:32:50 PM »
I am having trouble registering my wife's XP user.  My XP user registers just fine but when I try to register her, i get a dialogue box: "The change in registration was unsuccessful.  Administrator priveleges are required.  Ask an administrator for assistance."  Both users are set as Administrators.  As a test, I tried to set her up as a new demo and that didn't work either.  I even uninstalled PM and reinstalled it and tried to log her on first and still no luck.  Any ideas?
Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: XP User can' register
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 07:47:04 PM »
I am having trouble registering my wife's XP user.  My XP user registers just fine but when I try to register her, i get a dialogue box: "The change in registration was unsuccessful.  Administrator priveleges are required.  Ask an administrator for assistance."  Both users are set as Administrators.  As a test, I tried to set her up as a new demo and that didn't work either.  I even uninstalled PM and reinstalled it and tried to log her on first and still no luck.  Any ideas?

Basically PM needs to access registry keys on your system that require Admin privileges.  If it fails to write to those keys for some reason other than lacking Admin access, then it will still report the error as you described.

Are both of these user accounts on the same machine?  If so, then it is supposed to be only necessary to register on one of the accounts on the system and then all users would get access.

-Kirk

Offline monty

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: XP User can't register
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 07:54:16 PM »
Thanks, Kirk.  Yes, both users are on the same machine.  I initially thought I could register once but could not access PM from the other user.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: XP User can't register
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 08:02:11 PM »
Thanks, Kirk.  Yes, both users are on the same machine.  I initially thought I could register once but could not access PM from the other user.

Well then we need to figure out why your Wife's account is not allowed to read/write HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE...

If you contact me privately, I can call you and walk you through the use of the registry editor so we can see what's going on.

-Kirk