Author Topic: PM6 Preview window automatically closes after saving image  (Read 2411 times)

Offline J.A.S.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Running PM6 on Mac High Sierra 10.13.6

Just upgraded to PM6 from PM5 and so far very happy, except for one small issue which I'm guessing is a simple tick box change in preferences somewhere - but I just can't work out where.

In PM5, you can open the preview window, crop an image, save it, then move forward to the next one with the preview window remaining open. So you are working in the preview window, cropping, saving and moving forward to the next image to crop / save - if that makes more sense.

Currently in PM6, the moment you save an image in the preview window, the window automatically closes and you are back to viewing the contact sheet. So you then have to open preview again to carry on working - In PM5 you were able to keep the preview window open and move forwards or backwards to next image.

Sure it's just a setting somewhere - but can't work it out....

Thanks in advance,

John

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 01:40:48 AM by J.A.S. »

Offline J.A.S.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM6 Preview window automatically closes after saving image
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 01:26:29 AM »
Just worked out that PM6 is not actually closing the preview window, but just 'pushing' the contact sheet window in front of the preview window every time after saving.

It's still there and open, but you need to go to the 'Window' tab and select it to manually push it back to the front each time.

Hope that clarifies.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 06:16:56 AM »
Just worked out that PM6 is not actually closing the preview window, but just 'pushing' the contact sheet window in front of the preview window every time after saving.

It's still there and open, but you need to go to the 'Window' tab and select it to manually push it back to the front each time.

Hope that clarifies.

Thanks.  That should be easy to fix.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 11:20:12 AM »
I was unable to reproduce the problem.  What build of PM6 are you using?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline J.A.S.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 11:36:52 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Build 3143 (3bc32e6)

Maybe I can explain the issue more clearly....

From the contact sheet, with one photo selected (or any amount of images selected) click on the magnifying glass on bottom right of the photo.
Photo opens in preview.
Once you perform the 'save photo as...' action on the image, the preview window disappears and the contact sheet view is forced back to the front. My usual workflow is to crop and then re-save to another location for captioning, but it makes no difference if any cropping is done or not.

In PM5, once the preview window was open it would stay to the front after saving an image, so that you could use the arrow keys to move to the next or previous image to select / crop and save another photo. You needed to manually close the preview window in order to return to the contact sheet

Not sure it's a bug as such, but maybe just due to slightly different settings that I need to tweak in PM6 to get it to behave like PM5 ?

Hope this helps.

John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 11:47:58 AM »
John,

Build 3143 (3bc32e6)

Maybe I can explain the issue more clearly....

From the contact sheet, with one photo selected (or any amount of images selected) click on the magnifying glass on bottom right of the photo.
Photo opens in preview.
Once you perform the 'save photo as...' action on the image, the preview window disappears and the contact sheet view is forced back to the front. My usual workflow is to crop and then re-save to another location for captioning, but it makes no difference if any cropping is done or not.

How are you doing the 'save photo as...' action?  I pressed the 's' key in the Preview window.  The Save As dialog came up, I clicked the Save button, the photo was saved and I stayed in the Preview window.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline J.A.S.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 11:54:59 AM »
Hi Kirk - Found the quirk.......

If you press 'S' to save or select save from the main drop down menu - then all is as it should be.

However, for some strange reason (despite being much easier to just press 'S') I choose to always right click the image and then select 'Save Photo As..' from the menu that pops up.

When you right click, then chose 'Save Photo As...' it then forces the contact sheet window to the front and you lose sight of the preview screen.

Thanks

John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 12:04:01 PM »
Hi Kirk - Found the quirk.......

If you press 'S' to save or select save from the main drop down menu - then all is as it should be.

However, for some strange reason (despite being much easier to just press 'S') I choose to always right click the image and then select 'Save Photo As..' from the menu that pops up.

When you right click, then chose 'Save Photo As...' it then forces the contact sheet window to the front and you lose sight of the preview screen.

Thank you John, now I'm able to reproduce the problem!  For now, just press 's' to do your Save As operations.  The problem will be fixed in the next build of PM6.

-Kirk

Offline J.A.S.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 12:07:16 PM »
Thank you Kirk - Super support as always....

I really should be just pushing 'S' anyway - no idea how I have got into the stupid habit of right clicking, then picking from the menu !