Author Topic: Final release - crashing  (Read 21093 times)

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
Final release - crashing
« on: April 06, 2007, 09:50:03 PM »
I'm running 4.5 on a dual core XP Pro 2.5gb RAM - It's crashed a few times tonight - 1. While not in use - in backround. 2. when renaming a folder in PM.
I had no crash problems with the beta's but that was on a different but similar test machine - I'll try the final on that maching tommorow night.
I am also asked to update quicktime - each restart.
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
Re: Final release - crashing
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 09:53:21 PM »
Also Kirk - A couple times the Update quicktime message - has come up behind the PM Splash screen - I hear the tone but can't click OK till I Alt tab to that window.
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 10:26:18 PM »
Also Kirk - A couple times the Update quicktime message - has come up behind the PM Splash screen - I hear the tone but can't click OK till I Alt tab to that window.

I'll remove the stupid warning dialog on the first 4.5 update.
As for the crash, the engineer that works on the Navigator is already working on the crash issue.

-Kirk

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 05:11:53 AM »
is there any way for me to use the final beta - in the mean time?
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC

Offline robk47

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 06:10:30 AM »
 >:(  Kirk,
I am having crashing problems as well...running on a new Dell with XP home...the crash occurs without warning while I am ingesting or editing or just doing nothing and down it goes...not sure why this is happening...the beta version did not crash and I have gone back to 4.4 to use it until this issue can be fixed...will be happy to give you further details, but even the error box that sends stuff to you does not come up when it goes down...a bit frustrating and I am sure for you as well...
Rob Klein

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 06:31:41 AM »
is there any way for me to use the final beta - in the mean time?

No.  It has a hard expire in it.

-Kirk

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 06:32:59 AM »
Rob,

>:(  Kirk,
I am having crashing problems as well...running on a new Dell with XP home...the crash occurs without warning while I am ingesting or editing or just doing nothing and down it goes...not sure why this is happening...the beta version did not crash and I have gone back to 4.4 to use it until this issue can be fixed...will be happy to give you further details, but even the error box that sends stuff to you does not come up when it goes down...a bit frustrating and I am sure for you as well...

Disabling the Navigator will end the crashing.  If you can live without the Navigator then you can continue using 4.5 instead of 4.4.3.3.

-Kirk

Offline atf300

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 06:37:43 AM »
is there any eta on the patch for the navigator crashes ? im having a huge project by the end of next week , so im hesitant on updating the laptops for that matter.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 06:54:55 AM »
is there any eta on the patch for the navigator crashes ? im having a huge project by the end of next week , so im hesitant on updating the laptops for that matter.

I'm hopeful for a Navigator Updater Installer sometime today.

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 10:44:33 AM »
Kirk,

while PM4.5 worked fine the first 2 days, since I started work today it crashed 5 times (1 time during export, 1 time during caption, 3 times ideling in the background). I guess it's the same reason you described before (navigator). Is the update you talked about yesterday available?

Thanks
Archer

Offline juliank

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 12:09:01 PM »
Perhaps related.  Here is another example.  PM is open.  Go into the windows explorer anywhere (doesn't have to be where PM is open) and add a folder.    PM will crash.

I hope this helps.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 12:23:27 PM »
Archer,

while PM4.5 worked fine the first 2 days, since I started work today it crashed 5 times (1 time during export, 1 time during caption, 3 times ideling in the background). I guess it's the same reason you described before (navigator). Is the update you talked about yesterday available?

For the people I had test it yesterday, it made no appreciable difference.  If it solved the problem, we would have released it to everyone immediately.

-Kirk

Offline blankfortj

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 07:40:43 PM »
Kirk,

I’m also having the crashing problem. 

If I open navigator / right click/ Photo Mechanic – New Folder then rename the folder it crashes.  The directory is there, but it is 100% repeatable.   Also, does the same thing if I use Explorer to create and rename the directory.

I’m running XP Pro on a P4… If you need me to do any testing send me an email.

John

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 07:52:56 PM »
Kirk,

I’m also having the crashing problem. 

If I open navigator / right click/ Photo Mechanic – New Folder then rename the folder it crashes.  The directory is there, but it is 100% repeatable.   Also, does the same thing if I use Explorer to create and rename the directory.

I’m running XP Pro on a P4… If you need me to do any testing send me an email.

I am writing a new Navigator to replace the current crash-prone one.  Progress has been pretty good so far.  I will let you all know when there is a new version to try.

-Kirk