Author Topic: Zoom navigation help  (Read 4523 times)

Offline Bart Deamer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Zoom navigation help
« on: May 06, 2019, 09:15:18 PM »
To assist quick culling while staying in zoomed-in mode: on the side of the zoomed area, show a thumbnail of the whole picture with the zoom area highlighted, and allow moving the zoom area by dragging the highlight.  Very helpful to check focus for a series of frames in which the subject moves around in the frame from shot to shot.  Other photo editing/management software offers this.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Zoom navigation help
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 09:35:11 PM »
To assist quick culling while staying in zoomed-in mode: on the side of the zoomed area, show a thumbnail of the whole picture with the zoom area highlighted, and allow moving the zoom area by dragging the highlight.  Very helpful to check focus for a series of frames in which the subject moves around in the frame from shot to shot.  Other photo editing/management software offers this.

I'm not sure that's necessary.  Did you know that you can zoom in to an area of interest by Command-clicking on the area?  It's very quick and you don't have to move your mouse over to a panel on the side of the display like you would with the 'zoom area' feature.

-Kirk

Offline icurate

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 02:31:09 PM »
I'm not sure that's necessary.  Did you know that you can zoom in to an area of interest by Command-clicking on the area?  It's very quick and you don't have to move your mouse over to a panel on the side of the display like you would with the 'zoom area' feature.

-Kirk

Ooh, that works great and takes care of a zoom related request I was going to make!

Offline Bart Deamer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 04:48:28 PM »
Thanks, Kirk.  Yes, I use ctrl-click to zoom in all the time, and like this feature a lot.  The navigation panel would help moving the zoomed area around after the initial zoom-in.  The workflow I have in mind is, (i) ctrl-click on one area to zoom in to check focus, then (ii) move the zoomed area around to check focus in other areas of interest.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 05:01:34 PM »
Thanks, Kirk.  Yes, I use ctrl-click to zoom in all the time, and like this feature a lot.  The navigation panel would help moving the zoomed area around after the initial zoom-in.  The workflow I have in mind is, (i) ctrl-click on one area to zoom in to check focus, then (ii) move the zoomed area around to check focus in other areas of interest.

It's not likely that we'll add a navigation panel.  You can quickly Ctrl-click in and out to different areas of interest with the existing functionality and when you're not in zoomed mode, the preview is much larger than a navigation panel could ever be.

-Kirk