Author Topic: Ingest from selection error  (Read 5797 times)

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
Ingest from selection error
« on: May 06, 2019, 04:41:34 AM »
I am using Ingest from Selection on a full SD UHS-2 card.  All photos were taken with a Fuji X-T3.   I give each image i want a 1 star rating.  My plan is to select all 1 star images and ingest only them.  However, after I have selected around 230 images I get this error message  "Unable to write to XMP sidecar file at '/Volumes/Untitled/DCIM/105_FUJI/DSCF5731.xmp', disk may be full."

I imagine this means that the SD card is full.  This would indicate that Ingest from Selection will not work properly with a card full of images, and space should be left on the card for this.

Is there another cause, or a solution?

Thank you.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingest from selection error
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 07:29:05 AM »
Andrew,

I am using Ingest from Selection on a full SD UHS-2 card.  All photos were taken with a Fuji X-T3.   I give each image i want a 1 star rating.  My plan is to select all 1 star images and ingest only them.  However, after I have selected around 230 images I get this error message  "Unable to write to XMP sidecar file at '/Volumes/Untitled/DCIM/105_FUJI/DSCF5731.xmp', disk may be full."

I imagine this means that the SD card is full.  This would indicate that Ingest from Selection will not work properly with a card full of images, and space should be left on the card for this.

It is up to you to manage space on your disks.  We cannot do that for you.  We suggest not editing on your cards (and have repeated this suggestion in the forum and in our documentation repeatedly) because the images on the card are the only copy of the images you have until you have copied them somewhere else.

Is there another cause, or a solution?

Ingest from Selection, then do your edits on your hard drive.

-Kirk

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 08:01:47 AM »
Do you class rating photographs as editing for this purpose?  In which case I will stop doing that.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 08:37:49 AM »
Andrew,

Do you class rating photographs as editing for this purpose?  In which case I will stop doing that.

Anything that you change in PM will need to store the metadata either in the image or in an XMP sidecar file (depending on your settings and the type of the image file.)  Editing metadata (IPTC), tagging, rating, color classification, setting GPS coordinates, setting a crop, etc. all will update files or create new files.  If your card is full then you won't be able to make those changes unless you make room on the card by deleting files.

We recommend that you always get your images from your card to your computer as soon as you can.  If you lose any of those images on the card, you have lost them forever (notwithstanding some image recovery software, but why gamble on that?).

-Kirk

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 08:53:11 AM »
OK, thank you.