Author Topic: Photo Mechanic 6 soooo slow!!  (Read 14848 times)

Offline navidmughal

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Navid Mughal Photography
Photo Mechanic 6 soooo slow!!
« on: May 08, 2019, 06:11:59 AM »
Hi. Can anyone help me out.

Having waited for PM6 to come out before upgrading my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) to Mojave 10.14.4 to benefit fro the 64bit speed and performance, i finally paid to upgrade from PM5 to 6 a couple of days ago. I just can't believe how slow PM6 is running on my iMac!

Trying to preview between images in so slow and lagging it defeats the purpose of using the programme to speed through my image culling!

Photo Mechanic 6 is also not responding at all at times; having to force quit it.

Photo Mechanic 5 works so much faster than 6. What is going on Camera Bits?

Also I ingested images from 2 compact cards at the same time to merge the images into one location. Normally this would take a few hours with approx 30GB on each card but it took almost 18 hours and then it didn't merge them into one location but instead created 2 separate folders for each card... defeating the whole purpose.

Can anyone please shed any more light on this all?

Thanks

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Photo Mechanic 6 soooo slow!!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 06:58:41 AM »
This is a known problem and caused by a bug on Apple's side. Camerabits is working hard on creating a work-around though Apple should really be the ones to fix it.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline navidmughal

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 08:40:45 AM »
Thanks Hayo. Hopefully Apple or Camera Bits will have a work around sorts soon. I'm having to revert back to my PM5 version.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 09:37:12 AM »
Also I ingested images from 2 compact cards at the same time to merge the images into one location. Normally this would take a few hours with approx 30GB on each card but it took almost 18 hours and then it didn't merge them into one location but instead created 2 separate folders for each card... defeating the whole purpose.

Can anyone please shed any more light on this all?

This is not known to us.  Please show a screenshot of your Ingest dialog settings.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Pompo

• View Profile
    • Alfonso Bresciani
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 11:16:10 AM »
Thanks Hayo. Hopefully Apple or Camera Bits will have a work around sorts soon. I'm having to revert back to my PM5 version.
[/quote

Same here, I won't even touch V6 til it becomes usable. Using 5.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 11:19:38 AM »
Just to be clear, I meant that the slowness is a known issue caused by an Apple bug. The ingest issue is a separate, unrelated, thing.
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline navidmughal

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 03:04:38 AM »
Hi Kirk. Apologises for the delay in replying back to you.
I've attached a screenshot of the ingest dialog settings regarding why 2 cards are split into separate folders when set to Merge disk into same destination.
Another issue with PM6 and PM5 now is I get the death wheel and a message at the bottom left of the screen saying 'Getting Sort Data'. It will remain on this and not move on so I have to force quit the application?
If you could shed any light on this too that would be great.

Thanks Navid

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 03:46:47 AM »
I can only explain the ingest to two different folders if the image dates aren't the same (you have PM create dated folders). If the images are really from the same event/date then you may have accidentally set one camera to a different dateā€¦
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 08:10:54 AM »
Navid,

Hi Kirk. Apologises for the delay in replying back to you.
I've attached a screenshot of the ingest dialog settings regarding why 2 cards are split into separate folders when set to Merge disk into same destination.

I second Hayo's observation.  Are all of the photos on the two cards shot on the same date and are the cameras both set to the same date and time?  If they're off by a day (or even a significant number of hours) then you're going to get multiple dated folders.  As for the speed, it would amaze me to see any Ingest of source data smaller than multiple terabytes take eighteen hours.  I'm surprised that you'd have the patience to wait that out.

Another issue with PM6 and PM5 now is I get the death wheel and a message at the bottom left of the screen saying 'Getting Sort Data'. It will remain on this and not move on so I have to force quit the application?
If you could shed any light on this too that would be great.

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline navidmughal

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 12:07:20 PM »
I have attached the PM log file for you Kirk.

The 2 CF cards are definitely shot on the same day and time and date sync'd to match before I used them for my 2 cameras for a wedding. Something I do every time.

I definitely don't have the patiences to wait 18 hours to ingest the images from the 2 cards. I left it running overnight and the last images only finished ingesting the next day by lunch time. Hence the 18 hours. It seemed as if the 'Getting Sort Data' was to blame for taking that long. I haven't ingested via PM since and having to manually copy the image files outside of PM before accessing the folders in PM6 to start culling.

I hope that all makes sense. Definitely not what I would have expected after purchasing the upgrade.

Thanks

Navid

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 12:28:47 PM »
Navid,

I have attached the PM log file for you Kirk.

The 2 CF cards are definitely shot on the same day and time and date sync'd to match before I used them for my 2 cameras for a wedding. Something I do every time.

If you'd like to get to the bottom of the issue then please let me know and we'll investigate together.

I definitely don't have the patiences to wait 18 hours to ingest the images from the 2 cards. I left it running overnight and the last images only finished ingesting the next day by lunch time. Hence the 18 hours. It seemed as if the 'Getting Sort Data' was to blame for taking that long. I haven't ingested via PM since and having to manually copy the image files outside of PM before accessing the folders in PM6 to start culling.

I only see some issues where you were moving items to the trash on a volume named "Public" that failed because it had no Trash folder on it.

-Kirk

Offline navidmughal

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 12:03:15 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I would definitely like to get to the bottom of these issues please. I rely on PM and at the moment it is so slow.

The Public volume is my NAS drive where my images are saved to and I work straight from the public volume. Previously with PM5 I had no issues working this way.

Firstly should my ingest setting be on "directly into primary and secondary folder(s)" to merge the 2 cards into one folder?
The 2nd issue is the time PM6 takes to ingest from the cards. Last time taking 18 hours.

I can run a test again from the 2 cards if you let me know what settings I need to change.

Thanks

Navid

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 03:30:32 AM »
Regarding the fact that your ingest didn't get into one directory: what are the names of the two directories that did get created? And which one of the two should it have been?
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline navidmughal

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 03:48:44 AM »
The 2 directory folders created are

But as you mentioned these seem to have been due to the setting being on dated folders.

I am guessing these 2 folders were created due to the long time it took to ingest the images overnight, therefore creating a 2nd dated folder over the 6th and 7th May

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 04:59:29 AM »
The 2 directory folders created are

But as you mentioned these seem to have been due to the setting being on dated folders.

I am guessing these 2 folders were created due to the long time it took to ingest the images overnight, therefore creating a 2nd dated folder over the 6th and 7th May

Ah, that certainly could be true and would explain the separate folders. I'd expected the date to be the date the image was taken though, not the date of ingest. I use a path build up from {variables} myself so I have never noticed this. But you are right: the dated folder uses the date of ingest, not of the image.

So, having this explained, we can now focus on the ingest taking incredibly long. Here my guess is that one of your devices (i.e. one or more source or target disks) is just extremely slow/connected over a very slow link. What type of devices are they, and how are to connected to the computer?
Hayo Baan - Photography