Author Topic: Photo Mechanic Hangs when switching back from other programs  (Read 4220 times)

Offline pjoswald82

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Good morning!

I've been evaluating Photo Mechanic over the past month, as I've heard good things about the speed of processing--specifically for culling work I do in my wedding photography business. And so far, I've found it to be far faster than Lightroom in reviewing and categorizing RAW files. Though I've had a small and frustrating problem so far.

I'm using Photo Mechanic 6, build 2818 on Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've noticed that when I'm in preview mode browsing through individual photos, and I click on another program (Outlook, Word, web browser, Spotify) and then return to PhotoMechanic, the program will hang for 1-2 minutes before allowing me to use the program again. This happens almost every time I switch programs. I'm not using alt-tab to switch programs--only clicking on other programs in the Windows start menu or task bar.

The collections I'm ingesting are usually 400-3000 photos.

Any ideas what's going on?

Many thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic Hangs when switching back from other programs
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 11:10:02 AM »
Good morning!

I've been evaluating Photo Mechanic over the past month, as I've heard good things about the speed of processing--specifically for culling work I do in my wedding photography business. And so far, I've found it to be far faster than Lightroom in reviewing and categorizing RAW files. Though I've had a small and frustrating problem so far.

I'm using Photo Mechanic 6, build 2818 on Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've noticed that when I'm in preview mode browsing through individual photos, and I click on another program (Outlook, Word, web browser, Spotify) and then return to PhotoMechanic, the program will hang for 1-2 minutes before allowing me to use the program again. This happens almost every time I switch programs. I'm not using alt-tab to switch programs--only clicking on other programs in the Windows start menu or task bar.

The collections I'm ingesting are usually 400-3000 photos.

Are you changing the contents of the directories that you're browsing in PM?  For instance are you adding or deleting files?  Renaming files?  Changing the contents of the files (editing and saving over them)?

What sort method are you using in your Contact Sheets?

-Kirk

Offline pjoswald82

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 03:10:42 PM »
I don't believe that I've been adding or deleting any files, as I haven't been using any other image-editing program while culling my images in PM. The folders in the directories I use are strictly for my photos. (RAW .NEF files from a Nikon Z6 and Nikon D750, for the record).

Offline pstraub

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 10:02:01 AM »
Hi
Is there any solution for this problem? I have the same problems.

Thanks
Patrick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 10:20:30 AM »
For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2888

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

Offline MHand7

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 03:56:41 AM »
Did you email support and get an answer for this issue? I'm having the same trouble but only on my windows machine, not my mac