Author Topic: Two problems: metadata update and collections  (Read 11271 times)

Offline Goofy Foot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Two problems: metadata update and collections
« on: May 10, 2019, 02:56:44 PM »
I've experienced two problems so far:

1) Scan to catalog choked on old images from Canon Powershot SX20 IS.  I could add the other 36,000 or so images that I wanted to test without problems, but every time I tried to add one of these files, the catalog hung while attempting to update the metadata.  I cannot see any problem with the metadata.  I tried deleting the catalog and adding a single file (obviously one of the Powershot files), and had the same problem.  I removed the metadata using ImageOptim, and then was able to build the complete catalog.

2) I am completely unable to add a collection to my catalog.  I've right clicked everywhere on both the navigator and organizer views without any dialogue box appearing.  I've done this with and without active selections using both browse and filter.  I assume that I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what it is.  I'm using PM6+ build 3029 on an iMac 27" retina display with OS Mojave.

Otherwise, the app seems impressive.  Great speed in searches.  I'm not a PM maven, but the UI seems pretty straightforward, albeit somewhat clumsy with dropdown menus that are too long.  I would also hope that the final version will allow us to customize settings so that preferred search criteria are easier to find.

Looking forward to the next beta version.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Two problems: metadata update and collections
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 04:01:00 PM »
I've experienced two problems so far:

1) Scan to catalog choked on old images from Canon Powershot SX20 IS.  I could add the other 36,000 or so images that I wanted to test without problems, but every time I tried to add one of these files, the catalog hung while attempting to update the metadata.  I cannot see any problem with the metadata.  I tried deleting the catalog and adding a single file (obviously one of the Powershot files), and had the same problem.  I removed the metadata using ImageOptim, and then was able to build the complete catalog.

2) I am completely unable to add a collection to my catalog.  I've right clicked everywhere on both the navigator and organizer views without any dialogue box appearing.  I've done this with and without active selections using both browse and filter.  I assume that I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what it is.  I'm using PM6+ build 3029 on an iMac 27" retina display with OS Mojave.

Otherwise, the app seems impressive.  Great speed in searches.  I'm not a PM maven, but the UI seems pretty straightforward, albeit somewhat clumsy with dropdown menus that are too long.  I would also hope that the final version will allow us to customize settings so that preferred search criteria are easier to find.

Looking forward to the next beta version.

The two problems you enumerated should be addressed in the next beta, to arrive today.

-Kirk

Offline PhotoDawg94

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 08:52:58 PM »
Kirk, I am still having the problem with an inability to create a collection in the new release.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 09:04:24 PM »
Kirk, I am still having the problem with an inability to create a collection in the new release.

Hmm.  Are you right-clicking in the Collections area?  If you have no Collections at all, right-clicking should bring up a contextual menu where you can create a top-level Collection and give it a name.

-Kirk

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 12:05:05 AM »
Same for me
I am still having the problem with an inability to create a collection in the new release.
No contextual menu

Mac Mojave
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Stephen_C

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 03:27:21 AM »
It may be helpful to mention your OS if you're having problems. I'm running build 3126 on macOS 10.14.4 and can create a collection using the context menu without any problems.

Stephen

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 05:33:01 AM »
I'm also unable to create collections using beta 3 build 3126 (d527a1b). I can't bring up the contextual menu with CTRL-click (the usual Mac equivalent of right click). I'm using a Kensington Orbit trackball and have tried both right and left mouse buttons with regular click, CTRL-click, Option-click, and CMD-click. No luck.

MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra.
-- Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 07:06:59 AM »
Well that's odd.  I can two-finger click on my "Magic Trackpad" and have the contextual menu appear.  Ctrl-click does indeed fail to bring up the contextual menu which is unexpected.

Here is what it looks like when I perform a right-click in the Collections pane when there are no items (or if I do the same thing in the area below any existing Collections.)

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 08:33:44 AM »
Interesting, CTRL+Click indeed doesn't work but (in my case) started to search the catalog for which it then didn't find any matches (not surprising since the search expression was empty).
My guess is that you somewhere have a handler for the click with control.

Notice by the way that the menu entry "Remove Collection" is enabled, which makes no sense since there is not Collection :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 08:45:34 AM »
Hayo,

Interesting, CTRL+Click indeed doesn't work but (in my case) started to search the catalog for which it then didn't find any matches (not surprising since the search expression was empty).
My guess is that you somewhere have a handler for the click with control.

Notice by the way that the menu entry "Remove Collection" is enabled, which makes no sense since there is not Collection :)

I think it somehow thinks that there exists a Collection there.  Double-clicking in the empty space opens a "blank" Collection tab but has all of the images in the Catalog in it.  (At least that's what it does for me.)

-Kirk

Offline Goofy Foot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 11:17:28 AM »
PM6+ 3126
MacOS 10.14.4

I also confirm that the CNTRL-Click does not work, but that right click using a Wacom tablet does.

I also notice (as I believe has been previously mentioned), that collections that are two deep (top folder>primary folder>secondary folder) are not displaying when I double click that collection.  In the example shown in the attached image, double clicking on Sitka, Willamette or 2013 show no images.  Yet, if I double click on Alaska (top level), I still see these images.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 11:59:29 AM »
We'll get that fixed and put out a new build of beta 3.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 12:09:39 PM »
Hurrah ! Kirk said :

I can two-finger click on my "Magic Trackpad" and have the contextual menu appear.

With two fingers, I can create a collection  on my MacBookPro`

On miniMac I have to tag in system-prefs "click secondaire : cliquer du coté droit" for my mouse.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 12:25:51 PM by Soizic »
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 01:00:38 PM »
Soizic,

Excellent.  We'll find a way to get the Ctrl-left-click to act as a right-mouse click.

-Kirk

Offline PhotoDawg94

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 01:11:45 PM »
I can confirm Kirk that for me too, using two fingers to click on the macbook pro track pad works where the control-click didn't.  Glad that there is a simple alternative to use!  I'm liking where this product is headed!