Author Topic: Two problems: metadata update and collections  (Read 11272 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Two problems: metadata update and collections
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2019, 06:36:47 PM »
PM6+ 3126
MacOS 10.14.4

I also confirm that the CNTRL-Click does not work, but that right click using a Wacom tablet does.

I also notice (as I believe has been previously mentioned), that collections that are two deep (top folder>primary folder>secondary folder) are not displaying when I double click that collection.  In the example shown in the attached image, double clicking on Sitka, Willamette or 2013 show no images.  Yet, if I double click on Alaska (top level), I still see these images.

I created the same hierarchy as depicted in your screenshot.  I am unable to reproduce the problem.  If I double click on Willamette or Sitka I get a Collection tab named for the collection that I double clicked on containing the images that I had added to that collection.

OK.  I'm going to have you turn on some additional logging.  You need to create a plain text file named PMDebug.txt and it has to be in PM's Preferences folder.

PM's Preferences folder will be in the following location:

~/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/

Unfortunately Apple decided a few OS versions ago to hide the Library folder within your home folder.  You can still get there though by using the "Go to Folder..." command on the Go menu in the finder.  Enter the path above in the dialog that appears.

Create your PMDebug.txt file there and make it have the following contents:

CATALOG_DEBUG_LOGGING ON

Save the file and relaunch PM+ and try to open those two sub-collections.  You can then use the "Reveal Support Data..." command on the Help menu to get the updated zipped log file.  You can post it here or upload it to some cloud-based service and get me a link to the file

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Goofy Foot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2019, 07:32:56 PM »
See attached.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2019, 09:27:42 PM »
See attached.

Would it be possible to get your catalog.pmdb file from you?  It may be rather large (depends on how many items you have added to it.)

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Goofy Foot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2019, 07:54:25 AM »
I can try to share this using pCloud but I need your email address to invite you.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2019, 10:43:52 AM »
I can try to share this using pCloud but I need your email address to invite you.

I'll send you an email address privately.

-Kirk

Offline Bill Kelly

• Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 12:14:25 PM »
Hi,

I also notice (as I believe has been previously mentioned), that collections that are two deep (top folder>primary folder>secondary folder) are not displaying when I double click that collection.  In the example shown in the attached image, double clicking on Sitka, Willamette or 2013 show no images.  Yet, if I double click on Alaska (top level), I still see these images.

Thanks for sending your catalog file. It has revealed a bug relating to the presence of "/" forward slash characters in collection names.

Until the bug is fixed, as a workaround you'll need to avoid using "/" forward slash when naming collections. (e.g. "Sweitzers/Pattons" would need to be something like "Sweitzers+Pattons" instead, for now.)

Note: The bug may also make it difficult to remove existing collections having "/" in their names. If so, try removing the top level collection ("Alaska")

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Bill

Offline Goofy Foot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 12:17:36 PM »
Thank you for figuring this out.  Very helpful.  I think that this could trip up Mac users who have more freedom in naming files than Windows users.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 12:48:44 PM »
Thank you for figuring this out.  Very helpful.  I think that this could trip up Mac users who have more freedom in naming files than Windows users.

Certainly.  The bug will be addressed and you'll be able to use the forward slash character as you see fit.

-Kirk