Author Topic: PM6+ & PM 6.0 Launch But Contact Sheets Won't Open  (Read 6876 times)

Offline Warren B

• View Profile
PM6+ & PM 6.0 Launch But Contact Sheets Won't Open
« on: May 11, 2019, 06:56:57 AM »
I installed PM6+ Beta 3 last night (5-10-2019), launched it and it seemed to work pretty well, my Misc Contact Sheet functioned o.k., Catalog with 13,000 images worked well too. Exited Beta 3 and launched PM 6.0 (not Plus), opened my Misc Contact Sheet, it seemed to work well, but in Navigator I could not launch any other folders into Contact Sheets. With each attempt, the words (in green) Sort info... and then Sort complete... would rapidly scroll by in the lower right-hand corner of my screen.

Went back to PM6+ and experienced the same result with one difference - the Catalog still worked fine, but no Contact Sheets other than the Misc one would launch. The log file is loaded with error messages and I've attached it to this report.

Warren
Win 10, i7-8086K, 16GB RAM, PM6+ Build 3126

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM6+ & PM 6.0 Launch But Contact Sheets Won't Open
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 07:15:34 AM »
Warren,

I installed PM6+ Beta 3 last night (5-10-2019), launched it and it seemed to work pretty well, my Misc Contact Sheet functioned o.k., Catalog with 13,000 images worked well too. Exited Beta 3 and launched PM 6.0 (not Plus), opened my Misc Contact Sheet, it seemed to work well, but in Navigator I could not launch any other folders into Contact Sheets. With each attempt, the words (in green) Sort info... and then Sort complete... would rapidly scroll by in the lower right-hand corner of my screen.

Went back to PM6+ and experienced the same result with one difference - the Catalog still worked fine, but no Contact Sheets other than the Misc one would launch. The log file is loaded with error messages and I've attached it to this report.

Warren

Thanks for the logs.  I don't see any error messages that would indicate why a folder wouldn't open for you.  Have you tried any of the right-click options in the Navigator to open folders?

-Kirk

Offline Warren B

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 08:46:51 AM »
Warren,

Warren

Thanks for the logs.  I don't see any error messages that would indicate why a folder wouldn't open for you.  Have you tried any of the right-click options in the Navigator to open folders?

-Kirk

In PM6+ I tried right-clicking on a folder in Navigator and selecting 'Open in a New Contact Sheet' and a Search+ tab appeared next to my Misc tab but it was empty. I then right-clicked a folder in Navigator, selected 'Open in Current Folder' (the Misc folder) and that worked. Tried it again on another folder in Navigator but it didn't work that time.

I exited PM6+ then launched PM 6.0 (not Plus) and nothing would launch there. The same with PM 5.0. So in the end I may just uninstall PM6+ and then see if I can get anything working in PM 5 & 6 again. Then I'll do a fresh install of PM6+. Will have to do this tonight or tomorrow (Sun.) though.

Thanks,

Warren
Win 10, i7-8086K, 16GB RAM, PM+ Build 3126

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 08:57:32 AM »
Can you post a screen shot showing the new tab that is empty?  Please include the entire window contents showing the Navigator, menu bar, status bar, etc.

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Warren B

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 10:37:23 AM »
Can you post a screen shot showing the new tab that is empty?  Please include the entire window contents showing the Navigator, menu bar, status bar, etc.

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Yes, I'll be glad to do that but it will probably have to wait 'til Sunday. In the meantime I found this out (below):

It looks like I may be back in business, at least partway. PM6+ Beta 3 was not allowing me to launch Contact Sheets from Navigator, the Catalog was still working with several thousand photos in it and my Misc Contact Sheet was o.k. with about 700 photos in it but nothing else would launch, absolutely nothing.

Neither PM 5 or 6 (not plus) were working either.

On a hunch I launched PM 5, opened Navigator and right-clicked on a folder that would not cooperate in PM6+ and selected 'Open In A New Contact Sheet.' This time the 'Sort in progress' indicator in the lower-right hand corner of my monitor was working and in a couple of seconds it said 'Ready.' In PM6+ this sort was not working.

I did this same thing on 4 or 5 other folders in Navigator and they all launched o.k. But here's one thing that happens in all three of my Photo Mechanic's (5, 6 & 6+), after the sort is completed and I select a Tab, only a few images appear. I have to press the F1 key to view all the photos in that Tab! So I exited PM 5 and then launched PM6+ and this time both my Misc Contact Sheet and the Catalog were working and some other folders that I selected had appeared as well.

I'll have to do some more tinkering to see if PM6+ is fully operational again, but at least there's some progress.

Warren

Offline Warren B

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 09:20:22 AM »

Thanks,

-Kirk

Attached is a screenshot of PH6+ beta 3 showing the empty tabs. I launched PM6+ this morning, opened my Photo Download tab (I call it Misc for short) and all 700 photos appeared. Then in Navigator I right clicked on the Mendocino folder and right clicked on 'Open in New Contact Sheet.' The Medocino tab appeared in the toolbar all right and in the lower-right corner of my screen the green Sort gauge appeared for a second or two but no images appeared. There are actually 64 images in that folder. I did the same with the Sweden folder in Navigator, same result, the Sweden tab appeared and the green sort gauge flashed for a second but none of the 70 or so images appeared in the folder either.

I then closed PM6+, lauched PM5 and did the same thing, tried to open those two folders from Navigator, the tabs appeared but they were empty. My Photo Download Contact Sheet opened just fine. PM5 and PM6 were working just fine but after installing PM6+ they're not behaving in their normal fashion. Seems like the sorting process might not be doing its duty, but I really don't have any idea.

Thanks,
Warren

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 10:48:57 AM »
Warren,

I was hoping that your image would be more full-size, showing both the Ratings filter and the Color Class filter (the Color Class filter is not visible).  I suspect that you have your Color Class filter set to hide some color values by default and your 'Misc' folder happens to have images that have color classes on them that are not being filtered-out.

I suggest making the window wider and looking at your Color Class filter widget settings and make sure that your default is to show all colors, including 'none'.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Warren B

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 11:28:09 AM »
Warren,

I was hoping that your image would be more full-size, showing both the Ratings filter and the Color Class filter (the Color Class filter is not visible).  I suspect that you have your Color Class filter set to hide some color values by default and your 'Misc' folder happens to have images that have color classes on them that are not being filtered-out.

I suggest making the window wider and looking at your Color Class filter widget settings and make sure that your default is to show all colors, including 'none'.

HTH,

-Kirk

You are right (of course)! All the colors on the widget were not selected. On my 27" wide-screen monitor the Color Class Widget does not show, I have to close the Navigator, Favorites & Organizer windows first to be able to see it. But now all my images are showing normally and this makes me very happy!

Many thanks!
Warren

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 12:55:36 PM »
Warren,

You are right (of course)! All the colors on the widget were not selected. On my 27" wide-screen monitor the Color Class Widget does not show, I have to close the Navigator, Favorites & Organizer windows first to be able to see it. But now all my images are showing normally and this makes me very happy!

Many thanks!
Warren

What is the pixel size of your monitor (width and height)?

-Kirk

Offline Warren B

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 07:11:49 AM »
Warren,

Many thanks!
Warren

What is the pixel size of your monitor (width and height)?

-Kirk

It's a NEC MultiSync PA271Q-BK
Native Resolution (Pixel Count): 2560 x 1440

Warren,

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 08:36:24 AM »
Warren,

Hmm.  That image you sent that was a screen shot of your Photo Mechanic Plus main window but it is far smaller than the resolution of your display.  Why wasn't the screenshot image also 2560x1440 pixels in size?

-Kirk

Offline Warren B

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 09:35:01 AM »
Warren,

Hmm.  That image you sent that was a screen shot of your Photo Mechanic Plus main window but it is far smaller than the resolution of your display.  Why wasn't the screenshot image also 2560x1440 pixels in size?

-Kirk

I reduced the size of the .jpg so it wouldn't take over the forum's window.

Warren