Author Topic: Capture Time filter stage scrolling  (Read 5025 times)

Offline esambo

• View Profile
Capture Time filter stage scrolling
« on: May 13, 2019, 06:47:25 PM »
Beta 3, macOS 10.14.4, two finger trackpad scrolling works fine with all the different Organizer: Filter stages, just not the Capture Time filter stage. I am trapped to only scroll the content of that filter stage, but cannot scroll among all the other filter stages. I need to navigate my mouse to the scrollbar and can only scroll there!

pablogg

Re: Capture Time filter stage scrolling
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 09:15:45 AM »
I just tried the same doing two finger scrolling in "Filter" pane with various filter stages displayed. "Capture Time" filter stage is scrolling fine for me. Can you provide some more info with regard to the Filters stages you have displayed when this occurs? It would also help to know the order these filters are in.
Thanks,
-Pablo

Offline esambo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 06:46:26 PM »
I captured a short QuickTime screen recording with the two finger scrolling. It's the same as a mouse scroll wheel scrolling too.
To notice:
1. the mouse cursor is in the middle of the filter window
2. it scrolls across all the filter components just fine, until the mouse cursor gets trapped by the Capture Time content area, at which point it only scrolls within the Capture Time content area
3. I can only scroll consistently up and down across all filter components, including the Capture Time, if I place the mouse cursor above the scrollbar, which takes a lot of aiming
4. the filter component order doesn't seem to matter (based on just a very little playing around)
5. it doesn't matter if the Filter Capture Time component content is filled out (like in the video, and therefore requires scrolling within that component too) or not

pablogg

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 08:43:15 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to capture the steps to repro. I’ll give that a try this morning.
Regards,
-Pablo

pablogg

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 10:06:11 AM »
Ok, I think I see what you are having issues with.
Filter stages that exceed the size of their display area will display a vertical scroll bar for that filter stage.
Scroll functions when pointer is focused on that stage will perform scrolling within that stage, and not across all filter stages.
With our current implementation, one must either put focus on a stage that does not have a scroll bar, or surgically position the pointer on the overall filter pane scroll bar (far right).
For example: attached image shows screen shot of 3 filter stages, each with their own scroll bars. User would need to position mouse on the vertical scroll bar on right in order to scroll across all filters (unless there is a hidden key combination to perform overall filter pane scroll that Kirk can enlighten me about  :) ).
I'll bring this up for discussion with the team.
Appreciate the feedback, and please let me know if I misrepresented your issue.
-Pablo

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 12:52:41 PM »
I think this is similar to my report here: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=12209.0
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

pablogg

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 01:16:39 PM »
Thanks for referencing your post Hayo. Very similar indeed. Thanks.
Regards,
-Pablo

Offline esambo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 07:08:31 PM »
Thanks Pablo,

The issue seems to be when the filter stage has a left scroll wheel. It even occurs if the filter stage only has two lines of content in it and wouldn't even need that left scroll bar.
I would have expected that the scrolling should first occur in the inner filter component while possible, and once that has been scrolled to the max, it should then propagate up and scroll across all of the filter components (which is even the behavior in the Google Chrome web browser that i'm using right now, writing into this forum text box window, which has it's own scrolling, within the bigger context of the website it is in)

Offline esambo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 06:17:00 AM »
I can imagine two potential solutions to this scrolling problem:
  • Listen to the end of scroll event from the filter component and act upon it in the parent filter pane
  • Remove the up/down scroll all together and have the filter component grow/shrink to the appropriate height (which would need to be fired off every time a hierarchical content element is expanded/collapsed)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 07:30:02 AM »
I can imagine two potential solutions to this scrolling problem:
  • Listen to the end of scroll event from the filter component and act upon it in the parent filter pane
  • Remove the up/down scroll all together and have the filter component grow/shrink to the appropriate height (which would need to be fired off every time a hierarchical content element is expanded/collapsed)

When a filter stage has thousands of entries, neither solution is good.  You would be scrolling forever to get to the bottom of the list before you would see the next filter stage.

I think that we'll need a different solution, perhaps "Modifier Key" + Up/Down arrows  (the Modifier Key being Option on macOS, Shift on Windows).

-Kirk