Author Topic: Plus beta won't sort  (Read 2865 times)

Offline schwerd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Plus beta won't sort
« on: May 16, 2019, 04:37:54 PM »
running Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 3126 (d527a1b)
Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5

continuing to test large folders of images.  current folder 54K images
app won't sort.
change sort options and the progress bar moves approx 1/8 of its length, then stops, never advancing.
let it sit overnight. still nothing.
should I try smaller folder??
is there a practical limit for folder size...images in a folder
I don't recall this problem with ver 5 but can't check now to verify

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Plus beta won't sort
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 06:17:27 PM »
Is this folder a Catalog folder (search/browse/filter/collection result)?

If so, sorting is not currently available to Catalog Contact Sheets.

If it is a folder-based Contact Sheet, 54,000 images should take about 9 minutes to gather all of the metadata, and a few seconds to sort.

Practical limit?  Well, we don't have one designed in, but 54,000 images is really a lot of images in a single folder.

But it shouldn't take that long on a fast, local disk (SSD).  Where are the images stored?  Is it a network volume?

-Kirk

Offline timesnaps

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 10:35:47 PM »
Since I wanted to post about this before, I think best add the it here, rather than start a new thread:

I just done a small test, folder with 11960 images in 7 subfolders, all JPG's:

- loading images within 2 sec, able to scroll and enlarge them, while sorting is still ongoing
- 95 sec to do the initial sort (by Capture date)
- subsequent sorts almost instant (1 sec or so)

However I also miss the Sort function when using the Browse mode. Its something that I will put into a separate feature request, as it is really quite important and useful

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 07:19:10 AM »
However I also miss the Sort function when using the Browse mode. Its something that I will put into a separate feature request, as it is really quite important and useful

We already understand that having items sorted in a Catalog-based Contact sheet are important to users.  There are a number of posts requesting sorting and filtering like folder-based Contact Sheets do, including joining RAW+JPEG pairs.

Thank you for your feedback.

-Kirk

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 09:24:36 AM »
Hi Kirk,

My $.02.

In my experience, which is mostly in the news industry, by far the most popular sort order for DAM results is by time of commitment to the DAM (in this case catalog), with the newest items on top. So much so that users mostly forgot there were alternatives.

You would have thought it would have been by time of creation, but that option wasn't popular at all for whatever reason.

Pre-DAM in the workflow, in Photo Mechanic, was an entirely different story, with filename being the top choice, followed probably by time of creation, with newest in the bottom.

This might help when you decide how to present the sort order menu and whether it should be consistent between search and folder tabs...

-Carl