Author Topic: Save As.. Dialog, no Raw Option  (Read 3696 times)

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
Save As.. Dialog, no Raw Option
« on: May 13, 2019, 09:19:46 PM »
In PM Plus Beta 3, running in OS 10.14.4, when I open the Save as Dialog on a combined RAW+JPG thumbnail, there is not and option to Source from the RAW file. That option is grayed out.

Is that correct?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Save As.. Dialog, no Raw Option
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 10:23:44 AM »
Mick,

In PM Plus Beta 3, running in OS 10.14.4, when I open the Save as Dialog on a combined RAW+JPG thumbnail, there is not and option to Source from the RAW file. That option is grayed out.

Is that correct?

If you haven't turned on RAW Rendering (and picked an installed Adobe DNG Converter) then that popup will be disabled.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 12:38:47 PM »
Hmm, but what if you want to use the embedded jpg from the raw, always? It seems you can now no longer specify that behaviour. I’d like that though.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 01:01:30 PM »
Mick,

Is that correct?

If you haven't turned on RAW Rendering (and picked an installed Adobe DNG Converter) then that popup will be disabled.

-Kirk

Thanks, Kirk, that did the trick.

I vaguely remember turning that option off for some reason a while back, but can't remember why. I turned it back on, so maybe I'll find out.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 01:23:40 PM »
Hmm, but what if you want to use the embedded jpg from the raw, always? It seems you can now no longer specify that behaviour. I’d like that though.

A full sized JPEG paired with a RAW file is almost always of better quality than the embedded preview.  If it's a standalone RAW then you'd have a choice to render if RAW rendering is enabled, otherwise the embedded preview must be used anyway.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 11:19:53 PM »

A full sized JPEG paired with a RAW file is almost always of better quality than the embedded preview.  If it's a standalone RAW then you'd have a choice to render if RAW rendering is enabled, otherwise the embedded preview must be used anyway.

-Kirk

True, usually the JPG would be of better quality. But I’d like to have a choice, especially in those circumstances where perhaps the jpg is a smaller version of the whole thing.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 10:28:33 AM »
Now I remember why I deactivated RAW rendering via DNG. If it is activated, when PM is open, the DNG app shows continually opening and closing in my Dock. I presume it is doing something in the background, but on a laptop it noticeably affects battery life, and presumably has some hit on system performance.