Author Topic: Scaling or Win10 Problem?  (Read 7233 times)

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
Scaling or Win10 Problem?
« on: May 14, 2019, 11:17:58 AM »
Specs:
PM Plus Beta 3126
Win10 Pro fully updated
Thinkpad laptop computer: Intel Xeon CPU 2.80GHz, 32GB RAM, Intel Graphics (internal) and NVidia Quadro Graphics CPU for external monitor. Both the Intel and Nvidia graphics drivers are fully updated.
Laptop's built in 17" display and the external 28" Samsung monitor both run at 3840x2160 resolution.

I cannot use many of PM+ features because I cannot see the controls or the output on any of my screens. I initially thought this was a high resolution display issue but I just tested PM+ using my old HP 24" monitor that runs at a native resolution of 1920x1200 and there is no difference in what I can see except that the old monitor is no where as sharp as the 4K screens. So the problem does not appear to be caused by high resolution monitors. Don't know if it is a scaling issue or because PM+ does not work properly with Win10?

I am attaching a screen snip of my main PM+ window showing the Organize tab and my keywords. You will see that many of PM features are not visible.

1) I only see the Filter name at the left of the window - Browse and Collections are not visible so I cannot use them. My screen shot is the full height of my 28" monitor so there is no way to make the window taller.

2) As to the Filter section there is no "+" or "tool" button/icon visible so I cannot see or use most of the filter capability.

3) There is no scroll bar or any other method of scrolling my keywords so I cannot see many/most of my keywords since the keyword lists are much longer than will fit on my 28" monitor. This is extremely painful since I cannot see or use or edit many of my keywords since there is no way to scroll down the list.

4) There are supposed to be little bars on the right side of the ratings, keywords etc showing how many images contain the selected rating or keyword. I cannot see any item count bars on my screen no matter how wide I make the Organizer pane.

Hopefully there is a solution for this issue.  Thanks

Bill Wood

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Scaling or Win10 Problem?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 11:28:15 AM »
Bill,

I cannot use many of PM+ features because I cannot see the controls or the output on any of my screens. I initially thought this was a high resolution display issue but I just tested PM+ using my old HP 24" monitor that runs at a native resolution of 1920x1200 and there is no difference in what I can see except that the old monitor is no where as sharp as the 4K screens. So the problem does not appear to be caused by high resolution monitors. Don't know if it is a scaling issue or because PM+ does not work properly with Win10?

I am attaching a screen snip of my main PM+ window showing the Organize tab and my keywords. You will see that many of PM features are not visible.

It is a scaling issue that will be solved prior to release.

-Kirk

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 11:57:25 AM »
OK, thanks Kirk! :)

Offline timesnaps

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 10:13:29 PM »

It is a scaling issue that will be solved prior to release.

-Kirk

was about to add this "scaling" issue to the support topic, when I saw this post here.  So in addition to what has already been posted here:

On Apple Mac OS X 10.12.6 using the Beta 3 verison I can see the number of items for each entry in the Browse section, but unless I have a ridiculous amount of space between the divider and the left side of the window I need to scroll in order to see them.

Ideally the boxes with the numbers of items should be made to "stick" to the divider line (right alligned) so that when the user adjusts the divider it will move along with the divider. That way the user can easily choose how wide that space is, without the need for the scroll bars (which dont seem to appear for the OP here).

Good to hear that you guys are aware of this already - hopefully the solution will be free of scroll bars! (like in the 3rd screeenshot here)

I would even go one step further, as I often need to work on smaller screens (and then obviously need as much space as possible for the pics), and give the option to pull the divider as far to the left as the user likes. It obviously starts cutting into the items on the left eventually, but I would see that as a feature, not a issue.

After all if the user doesnt like to have it overlap, they can just adjust it accordingly. However, many users will have a very good understanding of the software and what items are there in the Browse mode, so wont necessarily need to see the whole text - I know I wont need to! (see last screeenshot with green markings)

Finally, I think there is no need for the blue bars under the numbers of the items on the right side. They are a nice indication of the amount used, but if they pose a problem or let the user have more space, then I would easily be able to do without them - just my 2 cents worth

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 11:29:21 PM »
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline timesnaps

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 03:26:37 AM »
This looks similar to my report here: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=12207.msg59832

Indeed, not sure how I missed that (did a search before posting).

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 09:42:29 AM »
I agree with timesnaps - space is super important, especially on small screens, so I would second allowing us to move the divider as far to the left as possible even though some things will get cutoff/overlap.

I also agree that the blue bars on the item counts are nice but definitely not necessary, the numbers are fine by themselves, so if the blue bars take up any space, feel free to eliminate them. :)

Offline timesnaps

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 09:17:57 PM »
Dear Kirk, thanks for the quick reaction on getting this looked at. I see that in the latest built this is already addressed! nice. It does however fall just short of being as good as it can be. What I am referring to is that even though the boxes with the item counts now stick to the divider, they still stop moving at a certain point (presumably to keep the interface clean).

Please please, pretty please (with cream on top) let us users decide how much we like to compromise looks for functionality. It shouldnt have to be forced by the developer team, specially seeing that code-wise this is likely simple line to change. If anyone doesnt like the boxes covering the text, then they are free to stop the divider at that point. If however you like to have more space in the contact sheet, then you can do so by moving the divider further to the left!

I hope your team can implement that in the next built and we see if anyone takes offence if they move the divider too far to the left - its a feature not a bug!

Screenshot 1: Boxes are now sticky to the divider! (great), but I can only get 5 columns of pics on my macbook screen

Screenshot 2: I move the divider further to the left, and now get 6 columns of pics! (like to work in even numbers of columns )

Screenshot 3: Although there seems to be a scrollbar now, it does not let me scroll all the way to the right, so boxes are still covered! (bug!?)

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 01:32:08 AM by timesnaps »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 09:56:09 PM »
Dear Kirk, thanks for the quick reaction on getting this issue looked at. I see that in the latest built this is already being addresses! nice. It does however fall just short of being the as good as it can be. What I am referring to is that even though the boxes with the item counts now stick to the divider, they still stop moving at a certain point (presumably to keep the interface clean).

Please please, pretty please (with cream on top) let us users decide how much we like to compromise looks for functionality. It shouldnt have to be forced by the developer team, specially seeing that code-wise this is likely simple line to change.

Unfortunately, it wasn't easy to change.  I tried to give you what you wanted.  The limiting factor is the Quick Search UI and the checkboxes below it.

That said, there may be more that we could do, but I ran out of time before we wanted to make this build for you all.

Just FYI, I have noticed that you and Luiz have your thumbnail quality at a level lower than what looks best for your display.  If you change the High DPI setting to best for your Contact Sheet thumbnails and Previews, it will look a lot better.

-Kirk

Offline timesnaps

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 01:48:25 AM »
Unfortunately, it wasn't easy to change.  I tried to give you what you wanted.  The limiting factor is the Quick Search UI and the checkboxes below it.

That said, there may be more that we could do, but I ran out of time before we wanted to make this build for you all.

Well, that should tell u how much I know about programming. Appreciate the effort and current fix nevertheless!! thanks. If it can be addressed for a future built that would be good however (the search bar can maybe also be covered equally, and indeed does already when I move the divider)

Just FYI, I have noticed that you and Luiz have your thumbnail quality at a level lower than what looks best for your display.  If you change the High DPI setting to best for your Contact Sheet thumbnails and Previews, it will look a lot better.

Thats quite possible, have not checked for a while. But for me its all about speed, and my eyes see enough details in the thumbnails as it is. Might change it, and see if the speed drops, but as I said, details is good enough for me. thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 06:13:17 AM »
Bill,

Specs:
PM Plus Beta 3126
Win10 Pro fully updated
Thinkpad laptop computer: Intel Xeon CPU 2.80GHz, 32GB RAM, Intel Graphics (internal) and NVidia Quadro Graphics CPU for external monitor. Both the Intel and Nvidia graphics drivers are fully updated.
Laptop's built in 17" display and the external 28" Samsung monitor both run at 3840x2160 resolution.

Can you confirm that Beta 8 of Photo Mechanic Plus addresses this problem?  If there continue to be elements that are clipped, please post screenshots of the remaining problem areas.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 02:50:20 PM »
Bill,

Specs:
PM Plus Beta 3126
Win10 Pro fully updated

Can you confirm that Beta 8 of Photo Mechanic Plus addresses this problem?  If there continue to be elements that are clipped, please post screenshots of the remaining problem areas.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Sorry, did not see this post until today. Have been busy lately. Just tried it and yes, Beta 8 (3635) appears to solve this issue. There are still a number of clipped items in various boxes in Preferences. The first letter of various words are partly cut off.... for example: Contact Sheet tab, Default sorting method, the C in Capture Time is partly cut off. No time to post screen shots right now.
Thanks for fixing this issue.