Author Topic: Can't find catalog section  (Read 7545 times)

Offline Ranger Rick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Can't find catalog section
« on: May 15, 2019, 09:26:21 AM »
When I launch Plus, I get only the regular contact sheet window.  Don't see any options to open such in the dropdown menus.  You show "Navigate" tab, etc in the pdf- I don't see any way to way to get there to even begin creating a catalog.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can't find catalog section
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 11:05:27 AM »
When I launch Plus, I get only the regular contact sheet window.  Don't see any options to open such in the dropdown menus.  You show "Navigate" tab, etc in the pdf- I don't see any way to way to get there to even begin creating a catalog.

Perhaps you could post a screenshot of what your window looks like?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Ranger Rick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 12:18:53 PM »
Kirk,

I think these are what you suggested

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 12:47:14 PM »
Rick,

I think these are what you suggested

You have the left pane hidden.  You'll have to open it up by dragging the vertical bar on the left edge of the window over to the right a bit.  Once open you'll see the Favorites/Navigator/Tasks panes, and a button bar at the top that has two choices.  The right-side choice will show the Catalog Organizer.  The left-side choice will show the Favorites and Navigator.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Ranger Rick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 02:31:15 PM »
Thanks!  Both laptop and desktop opened that way, no indication there is anything there on the left.  Just took me a bit of fiddling around to find the left edge of the window not only resizes the window to the right but also, when the cursor changes the icon, opens the Navigator.  Not too intuitive- perhaps with the Plus version the default should be to open with the Navigator window open?  I can't afford to be using up all these brain cells with the number I have left :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 03:16:43 PM »
Thanks!  Both laptop and desktop opened that way, no indication there is anything there on the left.  Just took me a bit of fiddling around to find the left edge of the window not only resizes the window to the right but also, when the cursor changes the icon, opens the Navigator.  Not too intuitive- perhaps with the Plus version the default should be to open with the Navigator window open?  I can't afford to be using up all these brain cells with the number I have left :)

The default is to have that panel visible.  I have no idea why it was collapsed for you.  You never closed it down yourself?

-Kirk

Offline Ranger Rick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 03:55:52 PM »
No, that was the way it opened. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 04:27:22 PM »
No, that was the way it opened.

It remembers and restores the panes as they were last set.  If you've never run PM before then they should all be visible.  If you at one point closed them, then they'll remain closed on startup until you expand them again.

Anyhow, I'm glad we've got it working for you and if they ever spontaneously end up closed again, please let me know.

-Kirk

Offline macz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 11:13:39 PM »
Interesting topic - I see the two tabs: Favorites/Navigator left and "Catalogs" right. However There is no selector for one of the catalogs already created. If I want to see the content of one catalog, I have to click on the rating stars in order to make a selection.
I would like to be able to select one of the catalogs, get a window/contact sheet for this catalog and can handle the content as in any other contact sheet - or am I not seeing the whole thing? Screen attached.

Thanks, Markus

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 06:29:39 AM »
Markus,

Interesting topic - I see the two tabs: Favorites/Navigator left and "Catalogs" right. However There is no selector for one of the catalogs already created. If I want to see the content of one catalog, I have to click on the rating stars in order to make a selection.
I would like to be able to select one of the catalogs, get a window/contact sheet for this catalog and can handle the content as in any other contact sheet - or am I not seeing the whole thing? Screen attached.

Search for "" (enter the empty double quotes and press enter/return) and you will see all of the images in all Catalogs that you have set to Search.

Simply activating the Catalog's Organizer (that's what we call the second tab) does not open a tab showing all images in all of the active catalogs.

-Kirk

Offline Hydester

• View Profile
    • Hotel Resort Photography
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 06:24:48 AM »
Have just downloaded the PM+ Beta and encountered same problems as those outlined above. Firstly, not seeing Left Hand Panel (though I can remember hiding it a long time ago) and then not being able to see a catalog's contents. It is highly counter-intuitive to have to Search for "" (enter the empty double quotes and press enter/return) just to see the contents of a catalog.

So while I am loving the Catalog implementation so far, I feel two urgent modifications are needed:
  • An icon/menu item to reveal left hand panel rather than grabbing the panel-edge, with a keyboard shortcut to do same (mostly I don't want LHP visible)
  • A button or check box to 'show all' in a catalog
Let me know if I'm missing something, but I think it is fundamental that new users are able to see contents of a catalog by default!

Keep up the good work on the king of metadata and speedy previews, and soon-to-be cataloging too!

Stephen

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 08:42:07 AM »
Stephen,

Have just downloaded the PM+ Beta and encountered same problems as those outlined above. Firstly, not seeing Left Hand Panel (though I can remember hiding it a long time ago) and then not being able to see a catalog's contents. It is highly counter-intuitive to have to Search for "" (enter the empty double quotes and press enter/return) just to see the contents of a catalog.

A lot has changed since this post was first started.  Filters start out by showing the entire catalog contents until you add criteria.  As for the panel not being visible at all, I assume that you're not seeing the Favorites/Navigator either?  If so then look to the left edge of the window and there should be a vertical splitter that you can click on and drag to the right, making it as wide as you like.

So while I am loving the Catalog implementation so far, I feel two urgent modifications are needed:
  • An icon/menu item to reveal left hand panel rather than grabbing the panel-edge, with a keyboard shortcut to do same (mostly I don't want LHP visible)
  • A button or check box to 'show all' in a catalog
Let me know if I'm missing something, but I think it is fundamental that new users are able to see contents of a catalog by default!

If you want to toggle the panel visibility, you can double-click the vertical splitter.

As for showing all, when you create a new Filter session, you'll see all of the images in the currently selected catalog(s).

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Hydester

• View Profile
    • Hotel Resort Photography
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 12:11:12 AM »
Kirk

Thanks as always for your super-quick, super-diligent response.

Filters start out by showing the entire catalog contents until you add criteria.

This definitely is not the case for me. I got/get absolutely nothing until I make a search, which was why I was so confused. (I created a new Catalog called Family and added pictures using Scan to Catalog of a folder with sub-folders)

As for showing all, when you create a new Filter session, you'll see all of the images in the currently selected catalog(s).

Perhaps my problem here is 'currently selected catalog'. By  'currently selected catalog', do you mean ticked  in the Active Catalogs section? If so, Search, Add/Modify, or both?? If not, how do I select a catalog??

If you want to toggle the panel visibility, you can double-click the vertical splitter.

Thanks for heads-up on this. However, I find this very fiddly and (especially when closed) either doesn't work or has the wrong effect (increases the size of the window) I implore you to make a keyboard shortcut.

Thanks again!

Stephen

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 12:26:14 AM by Hydester »