Author Topic: PM6 is out, but its still a beta?  (Read 4365 times)

Offline GetUp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM6 is out, but its still a beta?
« on: May 17, 2019, 01:16:19 AM »
After the public version of PM6 was out, I downloaded trial, after trial time is out, I payed for new PM6. Mainly for claimed "its now faster". But it is STILL slower than pm5, on a border of unusable. Is it going to be faster? Why I pay money for product, but can't use it now? Yes, i am on latest build.
Mojave latest, Imac 2015 27".

Offline Matthew

• View Profile
    • matt-horwood.com
Re: PM6 is out, but its still a beta?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 06:21:44 AM »
Have you tried turning off “Always make current Preview visible in Contact Sheet” in preferences?

Noticed a big improvement after this with the latest build.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 06:25:22 AM »
After the public version of PM6 was out, I downloaded trial, after trial time is out, I payed for new PM6. Mainly for claimed "its now faster". But it is STILL slower than pm5, on a border of unusable. Is it going to be faster? Why I pay money for product, but can't use it now? Yes, i am on latest build.
Mojave latest, Imac 2015 27".

Certainly not a beta.  But it is a new product.  New software products often have defects.  The speed problem is one of them.

We're working on making it faster for users like yourself.  There are some settings that you can change that can help improve speed.

Here are my recommendations:

Turn off "Enlarge photos to fit previews and slideshows"
Turn off "Sharpen previews"
Turn off "Always make current Preview visible in Contact Sheet"
Turn off "Synchronize single selection between Preview and Contact Sheet"

And if you are willing to have a lower quality display, change the "High DPI Display Quality:" to "Standard (fastest)" in both the Preview Preferences and the Contact Sheet Preferences.

The above changes should speed things up somewhat and make living with PM6 more bearable.

I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you and others and I am working serious overtime hours to address the problem.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Mort3770

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 07:40:47 PM »
I'm new to this forum and this is my first post/reply.

So I upgraded to PM6 pretty soon after it was released. I tend to believe it's better to stay current and trust that what's being presented as better will be in fact just that. That's not been my experience with PM6. It's been nothing but trouble for me.

Seems I can't get through as assignment without having to restart the program every couple minutes and every once in a while, restart my MBP.

Issues I'm having are:

1: After running through images, perhaps cropping some along the way, the previews start becoming very pixelated to the point I have to restart PM6. This happens a lot!

2: Sometimes when I exit out of the larger preview screen after I've cropped an image, the thumbnail goes away.

3: When exiting out of the the larger preview window, the photo I was just working on isn't the photo that's highlighted. It highlights another image nearby the image I was working on. That messes me up because I usually color code once I'm sure I have a good image and it's cropped and I exit back to the thumbnail screen. I end up color coding the wrong image.

4: I often run into a problem were the crop tool doesn't actually crop. I get more of a making line going around where the crop should be.

I found this forum because I'm frustrated with the upgrade. I found this thread and I tried the suggested work-arounds. They really didn't seem to help. Beside that, I feel like I have to handicap the program just to try and get it to work right, and it still doesn't work.

My MacBook Pro is:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
iOS: El Capitan 10.11.6 (15G22010)
Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 2818 (66ae7fc)

I'm lost, not even sure which way to go, I just know I cannot work this way anymore. Should I go back to PM5 until PMM6 gets fixed?

Offline NaturePix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Peter Llewellyn Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 04:29:20 AM »
Maybe an update of your OS from El Capitan might help? I am using same Macbook Pro but with 2.2 GHz processor and Mojave OS and find Photomechanic extremely fast with no hangs, or any of the problems you are describing. Just a thought as El Capitan is now 3 OS out of date.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 05:04:55 AM by NaturePix »
International Sports, Wildlife and Nature Photography

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 07:51:39 AM »
Mort,

So I upgraded to PM6 pretty soon after it was released. I tend to believe it's better to stay current and trust that what's being presented as better will be in fact just that. That's not been my experience with PM6. It's been nothing but trouble for me.

Seems I can't get through as assignment without having to restart the program every couple minutes and every once in a while, restart my MBP.

Issues I'm having are:

1: After running through images, perhaps cropping some along the way, the previews start becoming very pixelated to the point I have to restart PM6. This happens a lot!

2: Sometimes when I exit out of the larger preview screen after I've cropped an image, the thumbnail goes away.

3: When exiting out of the the larger preview window, the photo I was just working on isn't the photo that's highlighted. It highlights another image nearby the image I was working on. That messes me up because I usually color code once I'm sure I have a good image and it's cropped and I exit back to the thumbnail screen. I end up color coding the wrong image.

4: I often run into a problem were the crop tool doesn't actually crop. I get more of a making line going around where the crop should be.

Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 2818 (66ae7fc)

I'm lost, not even sure which way to go, I just know I cannot work this way anymore. Should I go back to PM5 until PMM6 gets fixed?

Would you please get the latest build of PM6?  Yours is several builds out of date.  I expect that some of your issues will be solved by updating to the latest build of PM6.

Please see this post: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=12390.0

It has links to the latest build (at this time).

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Mort3770

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 08:23:55 AM »
Wow! I wasn't aware of that. I'm usually keeping up with all updates. Not sure how I didn't keep up with this. I have updated. I will give it a try now. Thank you!

Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 3143 (3bc32e6)