Author Topic: Photo Mechanic Corrupts Files During Ingestion  (Read 2738 times)

Offline jldodge

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic Corrupts Files During Ingestion
« on: May 17, 2019, 05:08:02 AM »
I am ingesting files from one hard drive into a second hard drive and renaming them to a standard convention. Periodically, there are files that are not renamed (i.e. they are transferred to the second drive with their original file names) but are apparently corrupted by the ingestion process. When I attempt to view the file in Paint Shop Pro OR Fast RAW Viewer, I get the message that the RAW file is corrupt. However, both programs can open and view the file from the original hard drive. This has happened periodically in other instances and I am not receiving any error messages during the ingestion process. I am using the most recent version of Photo Mechanic 6.

Can you help me with some corrective steps? Thanks in advance ...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic Corrupts Files During Ingestion
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 06:16:36 AM »
I am ingesting files from one hard drive into a second hard drive and renaming them to a standard convention. Periodically, there are files that are not renamed (i.e. they are transferred to the second drive with their original file names) but are apparently corrupted by the ingestion process. When I attempt to view the file in Paint Shop Pro OR Fast RAW Viewer, I get the message that the RAW file is corrupt. However, both programs can open and view the file from the original hard drive. This has happened periodically in other instances and I am not receiving any error messages during the ingestion process. I am using the most recent version of Photo Mechanic 6.

Can you help me with some corrective steps? Thanks in advance ...

What OS are you using?
What kind of disk is the destination drive?
What kind or RAW files are you ingesting?
What do your Ingest settings look like?
What do your IPTC/XMP settings look like?

Can you provide both an original RAW file and one of the damaged RAW files so that we can investigate?

This is what we would consider a very serious problem and would want to fix right away.

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshots.

Your RAW files will be too large to upload to the forum.  Can you put them on a cloud-based service and provide a link to them, please?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline jldodge

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 07:15:30 AM »
Windows 10, 64 bit

QNAP NAS device (files are actually being transferred to a different folder on the same drive; I mistated this in my original email)

RAW files are NEF and NRW

Ingest settings are pretty basic ... create a sidecar file, pair JPG with RAW for consistent naming, naming convention uses {datesort} and sequential numbering (see attached).

Files attached ...

Offline jldodge

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 07:20:25 AM »
I thought the RAW files went through since I did not get an error message. JPGs are attached. I can email the RAW files from Google if you can give me an email address.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 08:24:15 AM »
Windows 10, 64 bit

QNAP NAS device (files are actually being transferred to a different folder on the same drive; I mistated this in my original email)

RAW files are NEF and NRW

Ingest settings are pretty basic ... create a sidecar file, pair JPG with RAW for consistent naming, naming convention uses {datesort} and sequential numbering (see attached).

Files attached ...

Your NEF and NRW files did get attached, but no web browser can show them on a page.  Are they the before or after ingest versions?

I'd still like a screenshot of your Ingest settings.  And we need the opposite of the RAW files that you just posted.  If they're the damaged ones, then please post the originals, and conversely if they're the original ones then post the damaged ones.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline jldodge

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 02:07:38 PM »
I sent a followup email with the JPG files. The first file was the original and the second file was the "ingested" version. The PNG file attached to my original email includes the ingest settings. I can send your the corresponding RAW files, for which the results are the same, but would need an email address in order to use the Google email cloud to complete the send. Thanks again ...

Offline jldodge

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 01:25:43 AM »
Is there any update on this issue? Also, your mail system rejected my email with the raw files. I was using Google mail to send the raw files. I've used it in the past but your email system would not accept the email.