Author Topic: PM6 Issue: Strange display delay in contact sheet  (Read 2785 times)

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
PM6 Issue: Strange display delay in contact sheet
« on: May 18, 2019, 05:23:57 AM »
Using PM6 build 3143 on Windows 10, I7-6700K 4GHz, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 1070.  I have a contact sheet open with 87 items, photos from an iPhone which means half of them are JPG and half are .MOV files from the motion photo capture.

Since I don't want to see duplicate images for all the JPG and MOV files, and PM6 can't filter what types of items it shows in the contact sheet, I have it set to Sort by {type} and "Reverse" so that the JPG photos are together and at at the top, pushing the MOV out of the way.

I double click on an image, which opens the preview window.  Go through and tag some photos, then in my main window, select "View -> Tagged" so that I only see my tagged photos. So far so good. 

I choose a photo and hit "e" to edit the photo, which is configured to launch Photoshop on my system.  For some reason the preview window closes (not sure why), and PS launches, opening the photo.  I edit the photo in PS, save it, then click on the main PM window (since the preview is gone), and for several seconds the main PM window forgets that I had it set to view tagged, sort typoe, reverse, and shows everything, then eventually switches back to only tagged, sort type, reverse.  PM5 didn't seem to do this.

It is a bit of a pain to wait for the display to fix itself, and then I have to double click on the image again to get back a preview window, so would be helpful if that didn't disappear but stayed open.  The display takes long enough to refresh that I had a chance to take a screen shot and process it.  See attached (first is before image, second is after I click on PM after saving image in PS).

Actually it seems PM is doing this strange refresh any time the folder is updated.  So I just saved a new image into the folder where the contact sheet is open from and it did that same refresh issue again showing all the files unsorted before going back to normal.  Is there a way to update the code so it refreshes in the background and only updates the display after it is done and with the correct sort/view tagged/etc.. settings applied?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM6 Issue: Strange display delay in contact sheet
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 07:16:15 AM »
Jeff,

Using PM6 build 3143 on Windows 10, I7-6700K 4GHz, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 1070.  I have a contact sheet open with 87 items, photos from an iPhone which means half of them are JPG and half are .MOV files from the motion photo capture.

Since I don't want to see duplicate images for all the JPG and MOV files, and PM6 can't filter what types of items it shows in the contact sheet, I have it set to Sort by {type} and "Reverse" so that the JPG photos are together and at at the top, pushing the MOV out of the way.

I double click on an image, which opens the preview window.  Go through and tag some photos, then in my main window, select "View -> Tagged" so that I only see my tagged photos. So far so good. 

I choose a photo and hit "e" to edit the photo, which is configured to launch Photoshop on my system.  For some reason the preview window closes (not sure why), and PS launches, opening the photo.  I edit the photo in PS, save it, then click on the main PM window (since the preview is gone), and for several seconds the main PM window forgets that I had it set to view tagged, sort typoe, reverse, and shows everything, then eventually switches back to only tagged, sort type, reverse.  PM5 didn't seem to do this.

It is a bit of a pain to wait for the display to fix itself, and then I have to double click on the image again to get back a preview window, so would be helpful if that didn't disappear but stayed open.  The display takes long enough to refresh that I had a chance to take a screen shot and process it.  See attached (first is before image, second is after I click on PM after saving image in PS).

Actually it seems PM is doing this strange refresh any time the folder is updated.  So I just saved a new image into the folder where the contact sheet is open from and it did that same refresh issue again showing all the files unsorted before going back to normal.  Is there a way to update the code so it refreshes in the background and only updates the display after it is done and with the correct sort/view tagged/etc.. settings applied?

PM5 blocked any use or update of the display while it did the refresh in the foreground.  PM6 does the sorting/filtering in the background and updates the contact sheet when it completes, but until that time, it lets you continue to use the contact sheet in its scanned state (filename sorted).  Others have expressed concern over this difference so it looks like I'll have to add a preference that lets you decide if you want to work with contact sheets while they're being sorted or have access blocked until completion.  Should you choose to wait for completion then I'll put  something up that lets you know that sorting is in progress and keep you from interacting with the contact sheet until you either decide to cancel the wait or it completes.

-Kirk

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
Re: PM6 Issue: Strange display delay in contact sheet
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 03:04:19 PM »
Is there a reason why the preview window closes when you hit "e" to edit an image in an external program?  Then I typically have to re-open again right after I am done.

On my system, the sorting then updated display takes 4-5 seconds, and that is only 80 items in the contact sheet.  In PM5, opening the same contact sheet, using the same sorting, even though you don't get access to the contact sheet it finishes in less than 1 second and you can use it again.  So massive difference in performance.  I would definitely use a preference where I can't touch the contact sheet until it is done if it can be done in less than a second vs 4-5 seconds while using it but not properly sorted or displaying only tagged images.