Author Topic: Image orientation  (Read 3425 times)

Offline Matthew

• View Profile
    • matt-horwood.com
Image orientation
« on: May 21, 2019, 04:07:51 AM »
Hello,

Minor issue but occasionally when switching contact sheets all the images are upside down. I can't reproduce it but I've noticed it happening on the latest build of PM6+ on both iMac Pro (Mac OS 10.14.5 ) and MacBook Pro (Mac OS 10.14.4).

The orientation corrects after a few seconds.The folder contains .NEF files from a D850 or Z 7.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Image orientation
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 04:47:09 AM »
Yes, I noticed this too. I think it has to do with the new graphics engine that is used as of PM6.

@Kirk, can you prevent this from happening? It feels a bit weird to first see your image in the wrong orientation before it shows itself correctly. Also I am sure this slows things down (or at the very least costs additional CPU power).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 07:18:39 AM »
Yes, I noticed this too. I think it has to do with the new graphics engine that is used as of PM6.

@Kirk, can you prevent this from happening? It feels a bit weird to first see your image in the wrong orientation before it shows itself correctly. Also I am sure this slows things down (or at the very least costs additional CPU power).

I doubt that I can fix it.  I believe it to be a bug in the OS.  You'll notice that other elements are upside down too besides the images.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 07:53:19 AM »
I doubt that I can fix it.  I believe it to be a bug in the OS.  You'll notice that other elements are upside down too besides the images.

Ah, another Mojave specific bug?

Now you mention it, I don't think I've noticed this happen on my desktop (it's still on 10.11 as it's too old – but still plenty fast – to upgrade).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 09:10:31 AM »

Ah, another Mojave specific bug?

Yes.  PM does use a flipped coordinate system on macOS because the default coordinate system places the origin at the bottom left corner of the view.  To do this we implement a method that is called 'isFlipped' which we always return "YES" from:

- (BOOL)isFlipped
{
   return YES;
}

For it to spontaneously 'unflip' would mean that the above routine somehow would return "NO".  But as you can see, that's just not possible.  So I figure that it's a bug in the OS.

-Kirk