Author Topic: PM6+ slideshow stops on some images  (Read 14427 times)

Offline Warren B

• View Profile
Re: PM6+ slideshow stops on some images
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2019, 08:04:13 AM »
Warren,

macOS Mojave
MacBook Pro (mid 2012)

I've also found multiple slideshow issues in PM6+ and PM6.

1. Same as discussed above with slideshow not advancing using right arrow. Will usually go back with left arrow, but not always.
2. Occasionally when clicking START, the screen will go black but no pictures come up at all.
3. During a slideshow, if I press the F key to leave full-screen mode, the photo displays correctly but any metadata I've chosen to display will disappear. Then, if I press F again to go to full-screen mode, I get a tiny image with some partly-visible text (samples attached).
4. On 1 occasion PM6+ crashed (quit completely) while testing the above.
5. Minor detail here... but if I remember correctly from PM5, wasn't the START button highlighted when you brought up the slideshow pop-up? That was nice as it allows you to very quickly just hit Command-L + Enter to start a slideshow rather than mousing over to the START button.

The slideshow in the first PM6+ beta worked perfectly for me. I rated and color classed approx. 5 hundred images while the slideshow was running and it was a great timesaver. It functioned perfectly without any problems whatsoever. I don't recall using it in beta 2 so I can't comment on that.

It was when beta 3 was introduced that things changed for the worse and became dysfunctional for me. Sometimes on launching slideshow just a plain black window appears and it just hangs. Other times upon launch the same black window with a large white square in the upper-left section of the windows appears and then hangs. I uploaded a small screenshot of that in one of my previous posts. Then when the slideshow does run the problems with the images hanging, etc. as we've described occur.

I still use PM6 (not Plus) and purposely have not updated to the new build. The slideshow PM6 build 3023 works beautifully, with no problems whatsoever. All of my images that stalled in PM6+ do not hang in PM6. Not being able to rate, color class or tag images while operating is its only liability.

Warren
Win 10, i7-8086K, 16GB RAM, PM6+ Build 3126

If you have some time next week, I'll get you some builds with logging in them to try and find out what's going on.  I can't undo the changes made to the Slideshow because they address some crashing issues that some users were experiencing.  But it should be possible to address the new problem that you're having.

Please let me know if you can help, Warren.

-Kirk

Yes, I'd be happy to help and I'm available anytime next week.

Warren
Win 10, i7-8086K, 16GB RAM, PM6+ Build 3126

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 11:27:26 AM »
Warren,

Please download and try this version:

https://www.camerabits.com/download/PM6SetupR3181.msi

If it doesn't fix your problem, then please let me know and we'll turn on some logging flags and see what we can find out.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Warren B

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 12:55:16 PM »
Warren,

If it doesn't fix your problem, then please let me know and we'll turn on some logging flags and see what we can find out.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Kirk,

Build 3181 slideshow (with no transitions) worked for 2 new images and two that had hung before and then hung on one that had stalled before. Using the left-arrow key moved the hung image back twice, then the right arrow key moved the image forward once. but it hung entirely at that point. I closed slideshow, selected some more images, launched slideshow again, using new images, it worked for two images then hung, went back one using left-arrow key but this time slideshow hung completely. I closed slideshow, selected more images, different ones again, tried to launch slideshow but received a completely black screen, did this twice more with same results. Closed slideshow, launched again with different images and got the black screen with the white square in the upper left-hand corner of a black screen. I exited PM6+ entirely, re-launched it, chose 6 or 7 different images (with transitions this time), slideshow hung after displaying 3 images, exited slideshow. Re-launched and then got the black screen again. At that point I quit.

I didn't send any photos as you already have 4 of the ones that have hung before and I think you have the black screen one with the white square, etc. I had high hopes that the new build would work but there still appears to be a problem.

Warren
Win 10, i7-8086K, 16GB RAM, PM6+ Build 3181

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2019, 01:09:30 PM »
Warren,

Build 3181 slideshow (with no transitions) worked for 2 new images and two that had hung before and then hung on one that had stalled before. Using the left-arrow key moved the hung image back twice, then the right arrow key moved the image forward once. but it hung entirely at that point. I closed slideshow, selected some more images, launched slideshow again, using new images, it worked for two images then hung, went back one using left-arrow key but this time slideshow hung completely. I closed slideshow, selected more images, different ones again, tried to launch slideshow but received a completely black screen, did this twice more with same results. Closed slideshow, launched again with different images and got the black screen with the white square in the upper left-hand corner of a black screen. I exited PM6+ entirely, re-launched it, chose 6 or 7 different images (with transitions this time), slideshow hung after displaying 3 images, exited slideshow. Re-launched and then got the black screen again. At that point I quit.

I didn't send any photos as you already have 4 of the ones that have hung before and I think you have the black screen one with the white square, etc. I had high hopes that the new build would work but there still appears to be a problem.

OK, let's get some info from your next run.

I'd like for you to turn on Slideshow logging.  In Photo Mechanic's preferences folder you'll create a text file named PMDebug.txt and enter the following text:

SLIDESHOW_LOGGING ON

The location of the preferences folder is:

C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic\

Then quit and start Photo Mechanic again.  Then try a slideshow on some files that you know will cause an issue.  When the problem occurs, stop the slideshow, and choose the "Reveal Support Data..." command on the Help menu.  A Windows Explorer window will come forward with a zip compressed copy of the log file.  Please reply to this message.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Warren B

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2019, 02:37:53 PM »
Warren,

OK, let's get some info from your next run.

I'd like for you to turn on Slideshow logging.  In Photo Mechanic's preferences folder you'll create a text file named PMDebug.txt and enter the following text:

SLIDESHOW_LOGGING ON

The location of the preferences folder is:

C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic\

Then quit and start Photo Mechanic again.  Then try a slideshow on some files that you know will cause an issue.  When the problem occurs, stop the slideshow, and choose the "Reveal Support Data..." command on the Help menu.  A Windows Explorer window will come forward with a zip compressed copy of the log file.  Please reply to this message.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Kirk,

I created the PMDebug.txt file in the AppData|Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\ Photo Mechanic\PreferencesGeneralSettings folder hoping that that was the correct folder. I then ran the PM6+ slideshow, this time it scrolled through 6 or 7 photos before hanging, but then hang it did. Not on one of the photos that had hung previously but on a different one this time and I could not budge the image using either the right or left arrow key. I went to Help and created the PMLog.zip file (attached). If this was not correct, let me know and I'll do it again. Hope this helps.

Warren

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2019, 03:17:13 PM »
Warren,

The PMDebug.txt file goes in:

AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic

Not in the PreferencesGeneralSettings folder.

Please try again when you get a chance.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Warren B

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2019, 04:23:40 PM »
Warren,

The PMDebug.txt file goes in:

AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic

Not in the PreferencesGeneralSettings folder.

Please try again when you get a chance.

Thanks,

-Kirk
Kirk,

O.K., I moved the PMDebug.txt file to the correct folder, launched PM6+ and started the slideshow. The slideshow opened with a very quick glimpse of the black screen with the white square in the upper left-hand corner of the screen and then proceeded to run through about a dozen selected images, some that were past hangs, but this time with none hanging at all which really surprised me. I stopped the slideshow, exited PM6+, restarted it and ran another slideshow, again running through about a dozen images, some that were past hangs and then finally it did hang on a photo that had never hung before and it wouldn't budge. I tried the left-arrow and right-arrow keys but it was completely stuck. That's when I went to Help and created the attached PMLog.zip file. If you want me to try again, I'll be happy to do so.

Warren

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2019, 05:09:51 PM »
Warren,

Please try this build.  Please post an updated log if you still have problems with this build.

https://www.camerabits.com/download/PM6SetupR3185.msi

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Warren B

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2019, 06:04:20 PM »
Warren,

Please try this build.  Please post an updated log if you still have problems with this build.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Kirk,

I didn't  have any slideshow problems other than the black window with the white square hanging slideshow once. Here's how build 3185 worked for me. I ran about 12 images (some that previously hung) without transitions and it went through them just fine. The black window with the white square appeared for a split second. I backed up several images using the left-arrow key and slideshow continued running again without pause. I exited slideshow, chose about 12 more images, launched slideshow again and up popped the black window/white square (image attached) and slideshow hung. On a second try slideshow ran o.k.

I exited slideshow, restarted it, checked the transitions box, selected fade-in, pop-out, speeded up the transitions a little bit and started the slideshow. The black window/white box appeared but then the slideshow worked and so did the left-right arrow keys. Slideshow is much improved, I'll continue playing with it tonight and will let you know if I run into any further problems. Thanks for the new builds.

Warren
Win 10, i7-8086K, 16GB RAM, PM6+ Build 3185

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2019, 06:06:39 PM »
Warren,

Thanks,

-Kirk

Kirk,

I didn't  have any slideshow problems other than the black window with the white square hanging slideshow once. Here's how build 3185 worked for me. I ran about 12 images (some that previously hung) without transitions and it went through them just fine. The black window with the white square appeared for a split second. I backed up several images using the left-arrow key and slideshow continued running again without pause. I exited slideshow, chose about 12 more images, launched slideshow again and up popped the black window/white square (image attached) and slideshow hung. On a second try slideshow ran o.k.

I exited slideshow, restarted it, checked the transitions box, selected fade-in, pop-out, speeded up the transitions a little bit and started the slideshow. The black window/white box appeared but then the slideshow worked and so did the left-right arrow keys. Slideshow is much improved, I'll continue playing with it tonight and will let you know if I run into any further problems. Thanks for the new builds.

Warren

Thanks, Warren!

That problem with the little window on top of the full-screen blanking window is known to us but we haven't found a solution to it yet.

-Kirk

Offline Warren B

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2019, 07:44:45 PM »
Warren,

Thanks,

-Kirk

Kirk,

Warren

Thanks, Warren!

That problem with the little window on top of the full-screen blanking window is known to us but we haven't found a solution to it yet.

-Kirk

Kirk,

O.K., I won't report on the black window with the white square anymore. I forgot to mention in my previous post that the "Edit via keyboard shortcuts" feature is working just fine for me in PM6+ build 3185 too.

Thanks,

Warren