Author Topic: Setting raw preview instead of embedded jpg in contact sheet/preview PM6  (Read 1884 times)

Offline kayintveen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I recently made the jump to the amazing sony platform.
The one downside i had was that the embedded jpegs are just low-quality (1080px wide) jpgs. looking if images are perfect sharp is not do-able.
So i recently found the setting in PM5 to use raw previews instead of embedded jpegs, this is a setting i cannot find in pm6. anybody got a clue how to do this?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
In PM6 that feature has been replaced (it was a Mac OS only feature) by rendering via Adobe’s DNG converter. It’s enabled on the Render Cache tab of the preferences. Beware though that (initially) this is quite slow.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline kayintveen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Not nearly the same experience than with PM5.
I think PM5 is way more streamlined, quicker in this matter.

Also dng converter is eating huge bits of battery from my laptop. Working on matches this could be a dealbreaker for sure!

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Agreed. But I don’t think it’s the wrong move of Camerabits to go this route; it’s platform independent and supports (almost) all cameras, also in the future. No it’s not ideal, but better than nothing I’d say.

Perhaps you could complain to Sony and ask them to include a full sized preview like Canon and Nikon (and many others).

PS Note that the raw render will be cached so upon next viewing the same image the preview will be quick.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl