Author Topic: PM5/6 Ingest Workflow Question  (Read 1741 times)

Offline pierre

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM5/6 Ingest Workflow Question
« on: May 26, 2019, 09:21:25 AM »
HW: iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
PM: 6.0, build 3143 (3bc32e6)

This is a question, not a report of a defect or anything.

I have been using the following ingestion workflow:

1) Ingest from card onto a staging area using the following
- Add copyright using global Metadata (IPTC) template
- Destination: ~/Pictures/_STAGE
- Folder Name: {date}

2) Select ALL Images in {date} folder and tag using global Metadata (IPTC) template
- Event: BLAH

3) Move images to final location from _STAGE
- Destination: ~/Pictures
- Folder Name: {iptcyear4}/{iptcyear4}{iptcmonth0}{iptcday0} {event}

4) Cleanup leftover folder in _STAGE
- delete {date} folder

I use snapshots to preserve folder structure templates.
I would like to go from card to final folder structure in one go.

Is there a better way of achieving this without having to resort to staging images?

Thank you,
Pierre

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM5/6 Ingest Workflow Question
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 09:40:04 AM »
Pierre,

Why stage or move anything at all?  I'd suggest filtering.  Set a color class or rating on your keepers that you wouldn't otherwise apply to the images you don't want to keep.  Use the Rating or Color Class filter to see only the keepers based on their rating or color label.  The images that you wouldn't otherwise keep will now be hidden.

Nothing needs to be moved.  Then if you're really sure you never want the unwanted images, reverse your filter so that only they show up, select all, then delete.

-Kirk

Offline pierre

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 02:42:50 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I move images because I haven't been able to figure out a way of getting the {event} metadata attribute to expand in the Destination folder as it appears to be applied after the ingestion process complete.

If I could copy the images from the card and have them land in {iptcyear4}/{iptcyear4}{iptcmonth0}{iptcday0} {event} in one go then I would not need to move anything.

Any idea how to actually get {event} to expand in the Destination folder during the ingest process?

Thanks,
Pierre

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 04:59:23 PM »
Pierre,

I move images because I haven't been able to figure out a way of getting the {event} metadata attribute to expand in the Destination folder as it appears to be applied after the ingestion process complete.

If I could copy the images from the card and have them land in {iptcyear4}/{iptcyear4}{iptcmonth0}{iptcday0} {event} in one go then I would not need to move anything.

Any idea how to actually get {event} to expand in the Destination folder during the ingest process?

I take it that you're entering something in the Event field of the Metadata Template dialog and applying that during the Ingest?  You could either enter that same text into the folder name field of Ingest, or use one of the many fields in the Job dialog and use the associated variable in both places.

-Kirk

Offline pierre

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 05:26:20 PM »
Yes, that is exactly what I do.

Job: BLAH
Metadata "Event" attribute: {jobname}
Destination: {iptcyear4}/{iptcyear4}{iptcmonth0}{iptcday0} {jobname}

This would create the following folder structure: ~/Pictures/2019/20190526 BLAH and all my images would have BLAH in the event tag.

Is this what you mean?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 07:15:40 PM »
Yes, that is exactly what I do.

Job: BLAH
Metadata "Event" attribute: {jobname}
Destination: {iptcyear4}/{iptcyear4}{iptcmonth0}{iptcday0} {jobname}

This would create the following folder structure: ~/Pictures/2019/20190526 BLAH and all my images would have BLAH in the event tag.

Is this what you mean?

Yes, but additionally you'd use {jobname} in the Event field of the Metadata Template dialog.

Then the "Event" part of the folder name and the Event field would match.  Would that then eliminate the need to move files around?

-Kirk