Author Topic: Horribly slow on Windows 10, went back to 5  (Read 3510 times)

Offline Linwood

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Horribly slow on Windows 10, went back to 5
« on: May 27, 2019, 05:35:01 PM »
I was excited today, I had a large shoot (over 8000 images) to cull, and figured I would get to really exercise V6.  I cull and crop/straighten in PM, then move into LR.  The culling was not pleasant, there were a lot of momentary hangs as I went from image to image; often long enough I would hit the arrow key again, then suddenly it would advance two.

But cropping is HORRIBLE.  I can't take it, it hangs as you try to rotate, it hangs as you drag to size. 

It got so bad after about 30 crops (of 635 I need to do), I re-installed V5.  And once again -- hang-free, instant movement, crop sizing and rotation.

This is not a minor difference, it is huge.  Unusable bad for me.  OK, "unusable is a stretch, let me put it this way -- if it goes this slowly, I might as well use Lightroom for the front end.   :'(

This is on a moderate speed windows 10 machine, I7-6700K processor, 64GB, Nvida GTX 970, one 24" monitor (1200x1920 portrait mode) one 27" monitor (2560x1440)  (using the former for the grid, the latter for the cropping), all M.2 and SSD drives (6 total)  Nothing else running (more to the point I went back and forth a couple times between 5 and 6).

I've seen a lot of postings about Mac slowness, but this is Windows.  Am I the only one seeing it?

I'm back on V5 to get some work done.  It is a really large difference.

Oh... on build 3143.

Any ideas?

Linwood

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Horribly slow on Windows 10, went back to 5
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 07:22:06 PM »
I was excited today, I had a large shoot (over 8000 images) to cull, and figured I would get to really exercise V6.  I cull and crop/straighten in PM, then move into LR.  The culling was not pleasant, there were a lot of momentary hangs as I went from image to image; often long enough I would hit the arrow key again, then suddenly it would advance two.

But cropping is HORRIBLE.  I can't take it, it hangs as you try to rotate, it hangs as you drag to size. 

It got so bad after about 30 crops (of 635 I need to do), I re-installed V5.  And once again -- hang-free, instant movement, crop sizing and rotation.

This is not a minor difference, it is huge.  Unusable bad for me.  OK, "unusable is a stretch, let me put it this way -- if it goes this slowly, I might as well use Lightroom for the front end.   :'(

This is on a moderate speed windows 10 machine, I7-6700K processor, 64GB, Nvida GTX 970, one 24" monitor (1200x1920 portrait mode) one 27" monitor (2560x1440)  (using the former for the grid, the latter for the cropping), all M.2 and SSD drives (6 total)  Nothing else running (more to the point I went back and forth a couple times between 5 and 6).

I've seen a lot of postings about Mac slowness, but this is Windows.  Am I the only one seeing it?

I'm back on V5 to get some work done.  It is a really large difference.

Oh... on build 3143.

Any ideas?

What kind of files were you working with?  Were they stored on a local disk or a network drive?

-Kirk

Offline Linwood

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 07:38:45 PM »
What kind of files were you working with?  Were they stored on a local disk or a network drive?

-Kirk
They were Nikon D4 and D5 raw images (14 bit) that I had imported with PM onto a local drive, no network drives involved; the local drive is an all SSD storage pool, very fast.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 07:47:57 PM »

-Kirk
They were Nikon D4 and D5 raw images (14 bit) that I had imported with PM onto a local drive, no network drives involved; the local drive is an all SSD storage pool, very fast.

Do you have RAW rendering turned on?

Do you have PM6 set to use XMP sidecars or do you have it set to embed metadata in your RAW files?

-Kirk

Offline Linwood

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 07:57:57 PM »

Do you have PM6 set to use XMP sidecars or do you have it set to embed metadata in your RAW files?

-Kirk

Wow, I should have read the release notes.  I did not realize windows could do raw rendering.

(Furiously checking preferences....)

It appears it defaulted to XMP (good!  Default should be to keep out of my raw data!) and not using RAW rendering.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 08:02:49 PM »

-Kirk

Wow, I should have read the release notes.  I did not realize windows could do raw rendering.

(Furiously checking preferences....)

It appears it defaulted to XMP (good!  Default should be to keep out of my raw data!) and not using RAW rendering.

OK, then I expect performance to be very good for your situation.  If you said you were rendering RAW and you had your images on a NAS then I could understand where performance would indeed suffer.  But you're on a local disk, and updating the crop should only update an XMP sidecar file (and only when you let go of the mouse button) so it should be very fast.

-Kirk

Offline Linwood

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 08:06:40 PM »

OK, then I expect performance to be very good for your situation.  If you said you were rendering RAW and you had your images on a NAS then I could understand where performance would indeed suffer.  But you're on a local disk, and updating the crop should only update an XMP sidecar file (and only when you let go of the mouse button) so it should be very fast.

-Kirk

Me too.  When I reinstalled 5 (I had removed it), it was back to normal.  I closed 5 and opened 6, and it was slow in rotating crops (which is what I was doing at the time).   Jerky slow, you drag and nothing happens, then suddenly it jumps.  Back to 5 and it's normal (smooth, immediate).

I've got to get these finished this evening, but when I get some time, if it's helpful I can do a video or something?   Or... what would help?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 08:08:17 PM »

-Kirk

Me too.  When I reinstalled 5 (I had removed it), it was back to normal.  I closed 5 and opened 6, and it was slow in rotating crops (which is what I was doing at the time).   Jerky slow, you drag and nothing happens, then suddenly it jumps.  Back to 5 and it's normal (smooth, immediate).

I've got to get these finished this evening, but when I get some time, if it's helpful I can do a video or something?   Or... what would help?

Sure, a video showing what you're doing (and please show each of your Preferences tabs), illustrating the problem would very likely be helpful.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline tivoli

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 07:53:17 AM »
Incredibly slow for me on Windows 10. Just stops dead, often seems like for 30-60 seconds. I can barely use it. Never had this problem before.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 08:44:07 AM »
@Linwood, @tivoli, disable raw rendering if you have not already done so (it's on the Render Cache tab of the preferences).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline tivoli

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 10:22:06 AM »
It was disabled. I'll have to do a video.

Offline Linwood

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 07:15:19 PM »
@Linwood, @tivoli, disable raw rendering if you have not already done so (it's on the Render Cache tab of the preferences).
Disabled for me also.

To the suggestion of a video, I did not get a chance today (real work getting in the way of photography work), and tomorrow I'm helping move someone so it will be at least Thursday before I can do more.

I did complete my work last evening with PM 5 without issue, it ran fast the whole time, as it always does.  PM 6 not so much.

Offline tivoli

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 05:56:45 AM »
I have to come back and say removal of the cache per PM's recommendation made a difference of night and day. Very fast now! Thank you!

Offline Linwood

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 06:02:29 AM »
I have to come back and say removal of the cache per PM's recommendation made a difference of night and day. Very fast now! Thank you!

Could you elaborate, do you mean switching away from raw rendering (which is on the cache tab per the above), or actual removing of the cache in some form?