Author Topic: updating an existing catalogue?  (Read 2498 times)

Offline myotis

• View Profile
updating an existing catalogue?
« on: May 28, 2019, 05:52:42 AM »
Is running a fresh scan on a folder + subfolders the only way to update an existing catalogue after new files have been added or deleted from the folder/subfolders being catalogued.

Compared to my existing DAMs, where updating an existing catalogue can be measured in minutes (albeit into double figures), re-scanning the same changes in PM takes hours.

I guess I am failing to find the proper way of updating changes to an existing catalogue, but I have been through all the menu items and can't find an obvious "update" choice.

Thanks,

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: updating an existing catalogue?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 06:01:35 AM »
Do you know what folder has been added/removed?  Or are there too many folders/files added throughout your directory tree to deal with them on an individual basis?

If you just need to add a single folder's images, you can open that folder as a contact sheet, select the images, and then add them to your catalog (contextual menu or top-level Catalog menu)

If you need images to be removed, you can find them in your catalog, select them and remove them.

If you know that your changed folders are in only part of your directory tree, you can start with that part and then Scan to Catalog on that part of the tree.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
Re: updating an existing catalogue?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 06:59:28 AM »
Thanks Kirk,

All possible workarounds, but very hands on, and of varying levels of practicality. All the scenarios you describe are possibilities of when/why I would want to update a catalogue.

With every other cataloguing program I've used/use, you just have a re-synch or update option, which I assume must compare the file folder contents with the index, and then update any changes or additions.   So every so often you can hit the sync/update and bring everything up to date, or simply schedule an overnight update without having to manually keep track of where you might have made changes or additions.

I guess, I will just need to leave it running overnight to rescan the whole folder/sub-folders of files, until an update/sync tool is added. Updating on an ad hoc basis, as you suggest, would always leave me wondering whether everything was up to date.

Cheers,

Graham

« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 07:41:22 AM by myotis »