Author Topic: Repeated scan of same folder increases identical search item's results  (Read 3499 times)

Offline Joel Goodman

• View Profile
Strange one. I scan a folder and carry out a search. If I rescan the same folder and repeat the search I get more results for an identical search. And again a third time. As if it's missing items in the initial scan.
Any ideas?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Strange one. I scan a folder and carry out a search. If I rescan the same folder and repeat the search I get more results for an identical search. And again a third time. As if it's missing items in the initial scan.
Any ideas?

Which build of Photo Mechanic Plus are you using, Joel?  And what OS are you running?

-Kirk

Offline Joel Goodman

• View Profile
Hi Kirk
3215 on Win 7 64 bit.

I've noticed something more overnight and I now think this may be on me.

If I open up the Catalogue Management window, the number of documents listed in the catalogue has been steadily increasing in jumps of 10/20 and is now about 25% larger than when I made my original post.

I assume catalogue has been indexing in the background long after the scans were completed and I've disregarded this? If so, I imagine this would explain it.

Is there anything clearer in the main interface detailing when indexing is occuring in the background, how many rows are outstanding and when it has completed?

Also I've restarting PM6 several times along the way, not even considering this. I imagine the indexing process would have been killed incomplete, each time I do so. Does PM6 automatically restart indexing and pick up where it left off after a restart? Again, I'm not sure if there's anywhere that this is made clear when I shut down/restart or in the main interface to tell me this.

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Joel,

Hi Kirk
3215 on Win 7 64 bit.

I've noticed something more overnight and I now think this may be on me.

If I open up the Catalogue Management window, the number of documents listed in the catalogue has been steadily increasing in jumps of 10/20 and is now about 25% larger than when I made my original post.

I assume catalogue has been indexing in the background long after the scans were completed and I've disregarded this? If so, I imagine this would explain it.

Is there anything clearer in the main interface detailing when indexing is occuring in the background, how many rows are outstanding and when it has completed?

The Tasks pane should have several entries in it showing what the Catalog is doing at any given time.

Also I've restarting PM6 several times along the way, not even considering this. I imagine the indexing process would have been killed incomplete, each time I do so. Does PM6 automatically restart indexing and pick up where it left off after a restart?

It does indeed pickup where it left off.

-Kirk

Offline Joel Goodman

• View Profile
Deffo checked the Tasks pane and it was empty. Will see if I can replicate.
Thanks.

Offline Joel Goodman

• View Profile
Yes, tasks window is showing the info - thanks :)