Author Topic: Adding a watermark in batch?  (Read 7952 times)

Offline Shane Canfield

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Adding a watermark in batch?
« on: April 08, 2007, 07:46:27 AM »
Hi, I'm considering PhotoMechanic...the website does not have a lot of description so here is my question. I use BreezeBrowser Pro now to do conversion to Jpeg in batch, and in the process, an option I use everytime for website display is adding a watermark...very quick and easy and far easier that adding it in Photoshop itself. Does PhotoMechanic do this too? In BBP, I simply check the box to add my watermark, point to the .png file I made, and presto, it is part of the final jpeg...resized if need be too, one step. Just curious about this program. Thanks for any thoughts.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Adding a watermark in batch?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 08:28:46 AM »
Shane,

Hi, I'm considering PhotoMechanic...the website does not have a lot of description so here is my question. I use BreezeBrowser Pro now to do conversion to Jpeg in batch, and in the process, an option I use everytime for website display is adding a watermark...very quick and easy and far easier that adding it in Photoshop itself. Does PhotoMechanic do this too? In BBP, I simply check the box to add my watermark, point to the .png file I made, and presto, it is part of the final jpeg...resized if need be too, one step. Just curious about this program. Thanks for any thoughts.

The Watermarking feature does not currently support transparent images, only transparent text.  The text can come from your metadata in the images themselves.  Supporting transparent TIFFs/PNGs is something I plan to add in a future version.

-Kirk

Offline Shane Canfield

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 08:59:47 AM »
Thanks for the fast answer Kirk. FYI, when you look at adding that, you may want to talk to a lot of users first. BPPs watermark add needs some improvements (like on doing a resize at the same downsample ratio as a file downsample...which it does not do). I hear a lot of people bemoaning the fact that there is no easy way to add a custom watermark easily in batch. Yes, it can be done in CS2, but that is a pain and one at a time, no good for people that do volume and rely on batch. So just a thought, I think there is hole out there that quite a few people would like filled. :)

Another question, FTP is built right in to PM yes? BPP does not support FTP. I hate to add a step, but would it make sense to batch in my watermark to full sized files in BBP and then downsize to my website's specs and FTP in PM? Is that all one step...downsize and FTP upload...or is it a process? Or for this purpose, would some generic FTP uploader work as well...I'm trying to figure out if adding PM to the workflow is going to save me time. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 09:04:04 AM »
Thanks for the fast answer Kirk. FYI, when you look at adding that, you may want to talk to a lot of users first. BPPs watermark add needs some improvements (like on doing a resize at the same downsample ratio as a file downsample...which it does not do). I hear a lot of people bemoaning the fact that there is no easy way to add a custom watermark easily in batch. Yes, it can be done in CS2, but that is a pain and one at a time, no good for people that do volume and rely on batch. So just a thought, I think there is hole out there that quite a few people would like filled. :)

We're always adding features that users request, as long as they make sense for the majority of our users and do not conflict with the goals of Photo Mechanic.

Quote from: Shane Canfield
Another question, FTP is built right in to PM yes? BPP does not support FTP. I hate to add a step, but would it make sense to batch in my watermark to full sized files in BBP and then downsize to my website's specs and FTP in PM? Is that all one step...downsize and FTP upload...or is it a process? Or for this purpose, would some generic FTP uploader work as well...I'm trying to figure out if adding PM to the workflow is going to save me time. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Yes, FTP is built-in.  It can resize, crop, rotate, watermark, apply IPTC Stationery, rename and upload via FTP all in one step.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Shane Canfield

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 09:12:41 AM »
OK, will give the trial version of PM a try...and what is HTH?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 09:22:33 AM »
OK, will give the trial version of PM a try...and what is HTH?

Hope This Helps

-Kirk

Offline Shane Canfield

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 09:40:43 AM »
LOL! Yes, it did. :)