Author Topic: Tagging stops color management  (Read 5453 times)

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
Tagging stops color management
« on: June 04, 2019, 06:52:36 AM »
If I tag an image while in the Preview window, the color management turns off. Untagging it, or toggling the "Manage Colors" button has no effect and the preview remains in the unmanaged state.

Rebooting PM seems to fix the issue for a while, but then it reverts to this behaviour.

Canon CR2 raw files, Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 3143 (3bc32e6), Mac 10.12.6

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Tagging stops color management
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 07:15:20 AM »
Sam,

If I tag an image while in the Preview window, the color management turns off. Untagging it, or toggling the "Manage Colors" button has no effect and the preview remains in the unmanaged state.

Rebooting PM seems to fix the issue for a while, but then it reverts to this behaviour.

Canon CR2 raw files, Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 3143 (3bc32e6), Mac 10.12.6

Well that's very strange.  Can you provide one of your CR2 files before and after modification?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 09:26:28 AM »
Of course - do you have an email I can send a zipped folder to?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 11:09:02 AM »
Sam,

Of course - do you have an email I can send a zipped folder to?

I doubt that our email server would accept an email that large.  I can provide you with FTP server info, or you could upload it to one of the many cloud-based services and share a link with me.

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 09:07:54 AM »
Thanks Kirk, PM just sent.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 09:33:23 AM »
Thanks, Sam.

Both images have been modified (XMP metadata has been embedded) and the differences between the two files is just a few bytes of XMP metadata.

I doubt that the tagging itself is the cause of the problem.  I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 02:20:27 PM »
I just sent this to you.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 02:30:00 PM »
Sam,

Thanks.  Unfortunately, I see no color management-related errors in your log.  This will be a hard one to fix unless we can reproduce the problem on our end.

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 03:15:34 PM »
It's hard to pin down exactly when it does it too.

It seems quite odd. If I toggle the color management on and off (using the button in the preview window) before tagging an image the toggle works correctly. Sometimes if I tag an image the color management stops (but the icon remains 'on'); other times the image will tag and untag without affecting the color management but if I subsequently toggle the color management off and then on, it comes back on but quickly flicks to off - I can see the preview image change back. It's late here now but I will try to catch it on a screen cap video for you tomorrow.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 04:06:59 PM »
It's hard to pin down exactly when it does it too.

It seems quite odd. If I toggle the color management on and off (using the button in the preview window) before tagging an image the toggle works correctly. Sometimes if I tag an image the color management stops (but the icon remains 'on'); other times the image will tag and untag without affecting the color management but if I subsequently toggle the color management off and then on, it comes back on but quickly flicks to off - I can see the preview image change back. It's late here now but I will try to catch it on a screen cap video for you tomorrow.

Can you tell me what your Memory Cache is set to?  And when the problem happens, can you bring up the Activity Monitor and check to see how much RAM the Photo Mechanic app is using?  A video may not be necessary.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 01:48:41 AM »
Memory cache is 20%, 13107MB.

Using 8.10GB RAM currently.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 07:28:49 AM »
Sam,

Memory cache is 20%, 13107MB.

Using 8.10GB RAM currently.

Is the problem happening when you checked memory usage?

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 07:50:34 AM »
Yes, it happens pretty much all the time. Restarting PM makes it stop, but it seems to come back very quickly.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 09:44:09 AM »
Sam,

OK.  I'm going to have you turn on some additional logging.  You need to create a plain text file named PMDebug.txt and it has to be in PM's Preferences folder.

PM's Preferences folder will be in the following location:

~/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/

Unfortunately Apple decided a few OS versions ago to hide the Library folder within your home folder.  You can still get there though by using the "Go to Folder..." command on the Go menu in the finder.  Enter the path above in the dialog that appears.

Create your PMDebug.txt file there and make it have the following contents:

COLOR_MANAGEMENT_LOGGING ON

Save the file and relaunch PM6 and reproduce the problem.  You can then use the "Reveal Support Data..." command on the Help menu to get the updated zipped log file.  Post it here or get it to me privately, please.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2019, 03:24:23 PM »
Here's the log. It wasn't doing it when I started PM, but I have worked out that the behaviour only begins after I have pressed F to hide the info panel and filmstrip in the preview window. I also have the toolbar hidden. This is repeatable after restarts of PM.