Author Topic: Thumbnails take minutes to appear  (Read 6062 times)

Offline bazography

• View Profile
Thumbnails take minutes to appear
« on: June 04, 2019, 12:11:26 PM »
PM6+ 3215, MacBook Pro, Mojave

Sometimes it takes forever to load thumbnails. I never noticed this until the 3215 build, at least not to this degree.

I’ve been testing PM6+ with images stored on a networked hard drive and thought that might be the issue, so I plugged the drive in via USB but the same thing happens. This particular test catalog only has a handful of images too.

In the example screenshot, it sat in that state (no thumbnails and red filenames) for about 3 minutes before the thumbnails finally loaded all at once. Sometimes if I click on a new folder then return to the original folder, the thumbnails will then load immediately, but not always.

It seems very random. Sometimes 3 minutes, sometimes 30 seconds, sometimes instant. It doesn’t matter which tab I’m working in. It even happens in Favourites when browsing non-cataloged images on my local drive (allthough the delays are more like 20 seconds rather than 3 minutes). There are no particular images or folders that don’t load properly either, it can happen to all of them.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Thumbnails take minutes to appear
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 01:51:47 PM »
It would sure be good to see what the Tasks pane says is going on.  You have yours collapsed so that it isn't visible.

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 09:34:54 PM »
It would sure be good to see what the Tasks pane says is going on.  You have yours collapsed so that it isn't visible.

-Kirk

Oh yeah, sorry. I double-checked it though, and can confirm that all tasks are idle while the problem occurs.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 11:09:17 PM »
I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 10:48:01 AM »
Log attached...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 12:14:00 PM »
Thanks for the log.  Are you able to reproduce this problem at will?  I understand that it doesn't always take minutes for thumbnails to appear, but given a reasonable time period, say an hour, can you get the problem to happen multiple times?

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 01:15:29 PM »
Thanks for the log.  Are you able to reproduce this problem at will?  I understand that it doesn't always take minutes for thumbnails to appear, but given a reasonable time period, say an hour, can you get the problem to happen multiple times?

-Kirk

I would think so. The short 10-20 second freezes are quite frequent, and even the minute+ freezes should happen at least few times in an hour.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 01:34:33 PM »

I would think so. The short 10-20 second freezes are quite frequent, and even the minute+ freezes should happen at least few times in an hour.

OK.  I'm going to have you turn on some additional logging.  You need to create a plain text file named PMDebug.txt and it has to be in PM's Preferences folder.

PM's Preferences folder will be in the following location:

~/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/

Unfortunately Apple decided a few OS versions ago to hide the Library folder within your home folder.  You can still get there though by using the "Go to Folder..." command on the Go menu in the finder.  Enter the path above in the dialog that appears.

Create your PMDebug.txt file there and make it have the following contents:

CATALOG_DEBUG_LOGGING ON

Save the file and relaunch PM+ and try to reproduce the problem.  You can then use the "Reveal Support Data..." command on the Help menu to get the updated zipped log file.  Post it here when you can.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 10:38:52 AM »
Sorry for the delay Kirk, here's the new log file.

I just made a discovery. Normally, after clicking on a folder, the cursor just stays somewhere in the left column waiting for the thumbnails to load. During one of the long waits, I just happened to move the cursor over the thumbnail area and the thumbnails appeared instantly. I tried it multiple times and it is definitely not a coincidence. I can move the cursor around anywhere in the left column and nothing happens, but as soon as it reaches the thumbnail area they load.

Offline Stephen_C

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 01:17:50 PM »
I can move the cursor around anywhere in the left column and nothing happens, but as soon as it reaches the thumbnail area they load.

I can confirm that I see the same. I can reproduce it by initially loading a folder of photos (by double clicking on that folder in the left pane) then double clicking on a different folder (even if the latter folder is empty) then again double clicking on the initial folder. In that case not all of the thumbnails load until I move the cursor into the thumbnail pane.

Camera: Leica Q2
Type of image: DNG
Computer: MacBook Pro, late 2016, Intel Core i7 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM
macOS: 10.14.5
Type of connection: locally stored catalogue
PM6+ version: 6.0, build 3215

Stephen

Offline esambo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 05:02:12 PM »
This behavior still exists in Beta 6 R3413. Sometimes it's not even enough to move the cursor over the thumbnails for the rendering to occur, bu I actually need to click/select it!