Photo Mechanic Plus > Feature Requests

Using catalog functions while "offline"

<< < (5/5)

tjkp:

--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on June 11, 2019, 07:16:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: krubin on June 11, 2019, 05:20:17 PM ---Are these offline features planned?  Limiting the ability to do select/sort/catalog is a serious detractor to the utility of PM+ IMHO.

--- End quote ---

At this time you're the only one that has requested this feature.

--- End quote ---

I'll add another voice asking for some offline functionality. I understand the philosophy behind storing metadata changes in the sidecars rather than in the database, but limiting any meaningful work in the catalog to 'online' files is prohibitive for anyone coming from Media Pro/Lightroom/Aperture/pretty much any other catalog or DAM system. In my case it's a dealbreaker, since I'm often working while traveling or otherwise away from my 20TB array of image files. This is where a catalog with built in previews is a lifesaver, allowing me to continue working with images and not have to carry an additional drive or worry about getting the updated files from the drive synced back to the main array. What's the point of the offline previews if you can't actually do anything useful?

IIRC I read somewhere in the forums that collections are stored in the database. Could that be a first step, allowing collection edits (add, remove, move files, etc.) with offline files? Presumably that would be straightforward since there's no metadata to sync back to the files when they become online.

rim_light:

--- Quote from: tjkp on January 19, 2020, 06:49:53 AM ---
--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on June 11, 2019, 07:16:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: krubin on June 11, 2019, 05:20:17 PM ---Are these offline features planned?  Limiting the ability to do select/sort/catalog is a serious detractor to the utility of PM+ IMHO.

--- End quote ---

At this time you're the only one that has requested this feature.

--- End quote ---

I'll add another voice asking for some offline functionality. I understand the philosophy behind storing metadata changes in the sidecars rather than in the database, but limiting any meaningful work in the catalog to 'online' files is prohibitive for anyone coming from Media Pro/Lightroom/Aperture/pretty much any other catalog or DAM system. In my case it's a dealbreaker, since I'm often working while traveling or otherwise away from my 20TB array of image files. This is where a catalog with built in previews is a lifesaver, allowing me to continue working with images and not have to carry an additional drive or worry about getting the updated files from the drive synced back to the main array. What's the point of the offline previews if you can't actually do anything useful?

IIRC I read somewhere in the forums that collections are stored in the database. Could that be a first step, allowing collection edits (add, remove, move files, etc.) with offline files? Presumably that would be straightforward since there's no metadata to sync back to the files when they become online.

--- End quote ---

I second that!

Bob Hendricks:
This is a very interesting and useful discussion. I understand the issue of getting the production version of 6+ out the door, but I also agree with Mark's discussion of the need for offline cataloging and merging of data.  I would like to support this as a feature for 7+.

Bob Hendricks

jp:
I also find this a big limiting factor of PM. I would love to be able to work on collections offline. Best would be to also be able to sync collections between 2 Macs. It would also be grand to be able to work on the meta data (and not only the arrangement and collection content) and when the source gets online to be able to merge all this together.

Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version