Photo Mechanic Plus > Feature Requests

Using catalog functions while "offline"

<< < (2/5) > >>

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: krubin on June 11, 2019, 05:20:17 PM ---Are these offline features planned?  Limiting the ability to do select/sort/catalog is a serious detractor to the utility of PM+ IMHO.

--- End quote ---

We'll have to weigh the benefit vs. delay in finishing the product for those that don't need such a feature.  PM has always made metadata changes to the files themselves (or sidecars) so changing to a de-sync system could be rather troubling for some users.

At this time you're the only one that has requested this feature.  If we get more people saying that the absence of this feature is a deal-breaker for them then we'd have to move towards implementing the feature.  That's really the criteria we use for all feature requests, along with whether the idea makes sense at all to implement.

-Kirk

krubin:
That is fair.  I would note, however, that you are entering a new paradigm with a catalog-based capability.  Clearly "classic" PM would have no need for offline processing as it was going direct-to-image and managing those files directly. 

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: krubin on June 12, 2019, 08:57:24 AM ---That is fair.  I would note, however, that you are entering a new paradigm with a catalog-based capability.  Clearly "classic" PM would have no need for offline processing as it was going direct-to-image and managing those files directly.

--- End quote ---

That distinction is not lost on me. ;)

-Kirk

carlseibert:
My $.02 here is that I would tread very lightly here. I like to see as little data as possible stored in the database, as opposed to embedded in the files.

One of the biggest strengths I see for PM+ is that all your data is embedded safely in the files. You don't have the Lightroom database of Damocles hanging over your head. If the database dies, there's no big worry, just trash it and rebuild it. (Apart from loss of the collections, and, frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing them stored in separate flat files, like Snapshots.)

Interoperability with other programs would take a hit, too. If users are storing their assets in Photo Mechanic's DAM, that means by definition that they are using something else as their processing application. I think it's critical that when an edit is made in any part of Photo Mechanic, Plus or not, that it should read in any other program without requiring any machinations in Photo Mechanic.  (Notwithstanding that, depending on the destination app and file type, there may or may not be a command to issue there to read the edits.)

Hayo Baan:
Hi Carl,

That's basically what PM+ will be is doing :)
All metadata is (always) stored within the (sidecar) file, interoperability with other programs is straightforward (that is as long as those programs also write their changes to the files, or can be instructed to do so – like Lightroom).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version