Author Topic: Favorites not populating for a long time  (Read 2933 times)

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
Favorites not populating for a long time
« on: June 08, 2019, 02:29:39 PM »
PM6+ 3215 on Windows 10

I finally built a catalog, and it finished, and did a search of photos with a specific keyword and it worked great, very fast, opened a "Search 1" tab, everything great.  I close PM6+ when I am done, and the next time I load it, the two tabs I had opened before open, and my Search 1 opens, I can see the photos instantly but for some reason my "Favorites" tab is empty (see attached photo).

I rebooted my machine, tried again, and same thing.  I tried View -> Favorites to turn it off and then on again, and still nothing.  I forgot about it and went to do some other things, then came back and Favorites was eventually populated but it took minutes for this to happen.  As you can see from the Tasks list, PM6+ isn't doing anything else.  The tabs are responsive, I can open photos and activate the Preview window and do stuff.  Not sure why this is happening.  PM6+ is using about 0.5% CPU so not pegged.

I don't know the exact time but it has been 5 minutes so far and still nothing.  Oh, just came back, so probably took about 5 minutes.

Just found something else.  If the tab I have open last when I closed PM6+ is a "Search" tab from a catalog, it takes the really long time for the Favorites to show up.  It seems to be fast if I have a regular contact sheet open last.  If I go to "Navigator" and then back to "Favorites" often times the Favorites will come back.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Favorites not populating for a long time
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 04:58:16 PM »
Thanks for the additional information, Jeff.  We have had reports from others on this problem, but your additional information may help us reproduce the problem.

Do you have any network folders in your Favorites?  They could certainly take a long time to load.

-Kirk

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 04:44:56 AM »
No, I only have two folders (with sub-directories) in my favorite, and they are all on a local HD.  I have had the same favorites setup for several years now, with PM5 and now PM6/PM6+, this is the first time I am noticing the delay behaviour.  The number of subfolders grows over time, and they are on a WD Red HDD spinning disk, there are about 1450 sub folders now.

For fun I just loaded PM6 (not plus) 3143, there are no contact sheets open when it loads, and I can see the same issue with the Favorites tab.  Just tried twice and nothing is populating in Favorites.   It will just sit there, until I click on "Navigator" and then as soon as I click "Favorites" they are displayed.   If I do that click the other tab and back after 5 seconds, it displays, or if I wait 5 minutes.  So for some reason it seems that tab isn't refreshing properly on load, it doesn't seem to be the time it takes to read the folders off disk.  In this case there are no contact sheets loaded and it doesn't support catalog so doesn't seem to be that.

Thanks for the additional information, Jeff.  We have had reports from others on this problem, but your additional information may help us reproduce the problem. 

Do you have any network folders in your Favorites?  They could certainly take a long time to load.

Offline JeffG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 05:27:52 PM »
Same thing with PM6+, even if I close all the contact sheets, and tabs, when I load it, Favorites are empty, until I click on "Navigator" and then back to "Favorites" and they show up at that point.  Reproducible every time on both PM6 and PM6+.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 06:27:58 PM »
Same thing with PM6+, even if I close all the contact sheets, and tabs, when I load it, Favorites are empty, until I click on "Navigator" and then back to "Favorites" and they show up at that point.  Reproducible every time on both PM6 and PM6+.

The next build of PM6 and PM+ will address this issue.

-Kirk