Author Topic: Move images folder to a different drive  (Read 4266 times)

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
Move images folder to a different drive
« on: June 12, 2019, 02:32:36 PM »
All my images are in a single parent folder on drive E: with lots of subfolders. typically 3 levels.

I now want to move the entire folder to a new Drive F: which does not show in the Catatalog becasue it's a new external drive.

I thought that if I opened all images in a contact sheet and used the Move option, then the images would be moved in their original subfolders structure. But when I saw that the subfolder structure was not coming over, I aborted the move.  Only 80 images came over and I can re-catalog those I expect. 

But how do I move the all my images over to a new drive from within the catalog preserving the subfolder structure and the current catalog.

Jim 

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
Re: Move images folder to a different drive
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 03:18:10 PM »
Hi,
IMHO, I think that perhaps you could move/copy your files to a new external drive and then rename this new drive using the old name (this way you would "fool" the catalog system).
Regards,
- Luiz Muzzi

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 04:06:13 PM »
Many thanks, Luiz.
I thought that moving images around from one location to another was one of the big plusses of a Cataloging program. But if that option is not here, then your method sounds promising.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 06:47:17 PM »
Why not just get your files arranged the way you want them on the new drive and then catalog it when you're done?

-Kirk

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 08:29:52 PM »
Why not just get your files arranged the way you want them on the new drive and then catalog it when you're done?

-Kirk
Thanks, Kirk.
Yes I can do that, The files are just the way I want them, just on the wrong drive. They are already catalogued and  I just assumed that being able to move files around was a common feature of a catalog.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 09:02:35 PM »
Jim,

Thanks, Kirk.
Yes I can do that, The files are just the way I want them, just on the wrong drive. They are already catalogued and  I just assumed that being able to move files around was a common feature of a catalog.

Just not currently present in our implementation.  We don't really have a plan to implement a 'duplicate an entire tree to another drive' feature either.  That's usually done by backup software.  Moving a few files here or there is supported and should be tracked properly.  If not, then that's a bug that needs fixing.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 11:28:48 PM »
I, in PM, you simply move the root of your images to the new drive. The catalog should have the updated location. This is most simply done in the navigator panel; just drag and drop the root from E: onto F:
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 11:12:24 AM »
Many thanks, for all the replies.
I just moved all the files and started a new catalog from scratch. There were only 2-3000 images.
Jim