Author Topic: Olympus M1X ORF, subseconds not available?  (Read 2799 times)

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Olympus M1X ORF, subseconds not available?
« on: June 08, 2019, 10:30:38 PM »
Just purchased an Olympus M1X.  With my Nikon cameras I had renaming set to include the subseconds.  This does not seem to work with the new M1X ORF files.   Here are 2 files in a sequence:
BD-20190526-114002.ORF
BD-20190526-114002A.ORF
BD-20190526-114002B.ORF

Nikon files look like:
BD-20181117-15124319-NIKON D500.NEF

I did drop the Model from the Olympus to test.  I am trying to figure out if Olympus just does not deliver this information or if there is something I need to change in PM.  I am using PM6.

Thanks,

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Olympus M1X ORF, subseconds not available?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 01:13:14 AM »
Looks like the sub seconds aren’t recorded at a location recognised by PM or perhaps aren’t even recorded by the camera at all. Can you post an example file so we can have a look?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 07:17:19 AM »
Here you go.  I did a quick/cursory look with Kuso Exif Viewer and did not see anything.  I did the same with a Nikon file and did not either.  I should look with a more complete look, EXIF reader or something as well.  I suspect you are correct.

Here is my rename setting for import: BD-{year4}{month0}{day0}-{hour24}{minute}{second}{subsecond}

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 07:36:42 AM »
More information, it appears, after further looking at the EXIF info, that Olympus does not use the standard Sub Second tags.  From reports I got from an Olympus forum, the Olympus converter as well as SilkyPix are able to find this info.  Perhaps Olympus hides it in MakerNotes or something.  I am going to contact Olympus as well.  It is not as it the SubSec fields haven't been around for a long time.

Here is a side-by-side snip from an ORF and a NEF:

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 08:46:15 AM »
I had a look at your JPG, but that file almost definitely does not contain subsec info. There are also no makernotes in the file so if the subsecs are saved there, they won't be retrievable from there.
By the way I had a look at an example ORF (of an M10) file found on the internet, and from there even exiftool was not able to retrieve the sub seconds, so if it's stored somewhere, it has not yet been deciphered…

update: typos
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 08:13:23 AM by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 07:18:34 AM »
Thanks for the confirmation, I was pretty sure that was the case as I could not find them either, trying a number of tools.

I have just logged a case with Olympus, they have already escalated the case to "more technical people".  I am supposed to receive a call back later today, I will update with results when I get them.

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 11:22:49 AM »
From an ORF I downloaded I cannot find any sort of subseconds, and Exiftool's Olympus section doesn't even mention subseconds as a maker note field, so I'm pretty sure this isn't present in Olympus cameras.  It should be stored in standard Exif as a string of digits (e.g. 2 or 3 digits) like Nikon does.

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 12:32:28 PM »
Thanks, dennis, for the confirmation.  I spoke with Olympus Tech Support just a bit ago, they are continuing to look and they understand why it is a "good thing".  After a cursory glance with SilkyPix last night I could not find it there, as that was reported by someone else on a different forum I am asking them for more info.  As far as I can tell, at this point, after confirmation from several of you folks as well as my own research, it does not appear that Olympus is reporting this.  I am hoping that we can convince them that they should.

Online Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 05:05:51 AM »
A Little off topic, but related.  Can you even make your camera display what its internal time is, to 1 second resolution?  On my OM-D 10 II, I can set the time to a minute, but no more precisely.  I see no way of knowing what the seconds are except via the exif data.  It's not really a big deal to me but I like to be able to sync the cameras clock to my external gps to within a few seconds for accuracy in geotagging.  It almost seems as though Olympus doesn't think time of day is of any great importance.

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 05:24:48 AM »
The M1X does have HH:MM:SS to set.  I have set mine to use the internal GPS, to hopefully make my life easier when I travel.  We'll see how well THAT works!

After speaking with an upper level later yesterday, I will hopefully hear either a resolution that will work now or that they will add to the firmware for the next release.  Either way I will update here when I know more.

Online Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 12:17:15 PM »
thanks