Author Topic: Keyword-field too small  (Read 12663 times)

Offline rolfo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Keyword-field too small
« on: April 08, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
Congrats to the new version looks great.
I like the new Keywords Panel great Idea.
But i still have problems with Photomechanic and use Adobe Bridge for nearly all of my captioning i try to explain why with my poor english.
The main reason is the tiny keyword-field i can't see all my keywords at once and sort them in relevancy. I know the sort order is not part of the IPTC-Standard but its important for many stockagencies for example alamy (www.alamy.com). So please make this important field a lot bigger or custom adjustable. Because of the importance of a sortorder by relevance for me i have big issues with the automatic alphabetical order of keywords in many dialogs of photomechanic.
Another thing that is a lot better in Bridge that i can adjust it in Browser/Thumbnail-Mode to see a line with the first keywords under the filename so can i see immediatly if a picture has already keywords and if it has keywords if they are in english or german.
Also the size of the keyword-panel should be custom adjustable and it should possible to load textfiles with keywords seperated by comma or semicolon.
The ingest-function is in general great but i still use downloaderPro for this simply because of its faster acess for Jobcode and the lossless autorotate-function while downloading saves me a some time compared to Photomechanic.
I see many great Ideas in Photomechanic and would love it to use it far more often.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 01:10:14 PM by rolfo »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Keyword-field too small
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 01:30:59 PM »
But i still have problems with Photomechanic and use Adobe Bridge for nearly all of my captioning i try to explain why with my poor english.
The main reason is the tiny keyword-field i can't see all my keywords at once and sort them in relevancy. I know the sort order is not part of the IPTC-Standard but its important for many stockagencies for example alamy (www.alamy.com). So please make this important field a lot bigger or custom adjustable. Because of the importance of a sortorder by relevance for me i have big issues with the automatic alphabetical order of keywords in many dialogs of photomechanic.

Why do they need to be in a particular order (other than alphabetical)?  I mean when you search for a specific keyword, it doesn't matter which order it appears in a photo, the photo will match the search if it contains the keyword.

Quote from: rolfo
Another thing that is a lot better in Bridge that i can adjust it in Browser/Thumbnail-Mode to see a line with the first keywords under the filename so can i see immediatly if a picture has already keywords and if it has keywords if they are in english or german.

PM 4.5 can do that too.  Just add an additional line of labels, and use the {keywords} variable.

Also the size of the keyword-panel should be custom adjustable and it should possible to load textfiles with keywords seperated by comma or semicolon.

It can load text files, one keyword per line.

The ingest-function is in general great but i still use downloaderPro for this simply because of its faster acess for Jobcode

Hmm.  Well I don't know how it could be much faster, all you have to do is click the Job... button in the Ingest dialog.

and the lossless autorotate-function while downloading saves me a some time compared to Photomechanic.  I see many great Ideas in Photomechanic and would love it to use it far more often.

I take it you only shoot JPEGs?  Because the issue is that if you shoot RAW+JPEG and you hard-rotate the JPEG, now the JPEG and the RAW file are out of sync.

-Kirk

Offline rolfo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 03:49:53 PM »

Why do they need to be in a particular order (other than alphabetical)?  I mean when you search for a specific keyword, it doesn't matter which order it appears in a photo, the photo will match the search if it contains the keyword.

The search engine of these agencies sort the result of the search in relevancy! So the search engine will find the picture but its maybe on last resultpage though its may the most relevant picture. Keep in mind that an agency like Alamy has more than 8 Million pictures and buyers often don't have the time too look through all the result-pages.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 04:09:52 PM by rolfo »

Offline rolfo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 03:52:59 PM »

PM 4.5 can do that too.  Just add an additional line of labels, and use the {keywords} variable.

Great thanks!!!

« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 03:54:55 PM by rolfo »

Offline rolfo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 04:08:53 PM »

[Also the size of the keyword-panel should be custom adjustable and it should possible to load textfiles with keywords seperated by comma or semicolon.

It can load text files, one keyword per line.
Yes but in my case i have lots of textfiles with combination of keywords (most between 10 and 70 keywords) which i need and use often but maybe thats just too special.

Offline rolfo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 04:11:41 PM »

The ingest-function is in general great but i still use downloaderPro for this simply because of its faster acess for Jobcode

Hmm.  Well I don't know how it could be much faster, all you have to do is click the Job... button in the Ingest dialog.

But thats just the point why i have to press a button to type the most important thing the Jobname it should be on the first dialog on a prominent position all other stuff like User and Client can remain like it is because you don't need it that often. You also don't chance the Variables for FolderName and Renaming very often but you do at least in my case chance the Jobname with every new Job or Project..

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 04:17:13 PM »

The search engine of these agencies sort the result of the search in relevancy! So the search engine will find the picture but its maybe on last resultpage though its may the most relevant picture. Keep in mind that an agency like Alamy has more than 8 Million pictures and buyers often don't have the time too look through all the result-pages.

Interesting.  So their search engine weights the keyword matches based on how early in the keywords list they appear?  I suppose that's one way to do it, but I think it is more logical to search for multiple keywords (which I assume most are) and then the photos that match the keywords most closely.  But they're going to do it the way they want to do it.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 04:19:19 PM »

But thats just the point why i have to press a button to type the most important thing the Jobname it should be on the first dialog on a prominent position all other stuff like User and Client can remain like it is because you don't need it that often. You also don't chance the Variables for FolderName and Renaming very often but you do at least in my case chance the Jobname with every new Job or Project..

I think if we did a survey, you'd be surprised at how many people modify the folder name fields quite often.

I also figure that each time the job changes, it is often the case that the client information also changes, unless you work for the same client often.

-Kirk

Offline rolfo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 04:20:58 PM »
and the lossless autorotate-function while downloading saves me a some time compared to Photomechanic.  I see many great Ideas in Photomechanic and would love it to use it far more often.

I take it you only shoot JPEGs?  Because the issue is that if you shoot RAW+JPEG and you hard-rotate the JPEG, now the JPEG and the RAW file are out of sync.

I do both sometimes only JPEG sometimes RAW+JPEG but in my opinion it doesn't matter if i open the raw-file in PS it will be automatically rotated by the Exif-Tag.
But i do use the JPEGs to sort my files and check them in 100% for accurance of focus etc. (i use ACDSeePro for this). I don't use the RAWs before i have a very small selection of checked files. So the autorotation of the JPEGs while downloading is a great help for me i can browse through the files and sort them right after downloading.

Anyway thanks a lot for your nice and helpful response!
Best Regards
Rolf

Offline rolfo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 04:29:37 PM »

I think if we did a survey, you'd be surprised at how many people modify the folder name fields quite often.

I also figure that each time the job changes, it is often the case that the client information also changes, unless you work for the same client often.

-Kirk

In my case the foldername changes with the jobname because it has jobname as a variable. But you are right everybody works different and you have to find the piece of software that does match your workflow best.

But if i would have a single wish than i really, really would love to see a bigger keyword-field maybe the same size like the caption-field or at least the size of the headline-field  :D :D

Offline rolfo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 04:38:51 PM »

Great thanks!!!

Tested works fine! Great new feature thanks again for the hint  :)