Author Topic: Installing on other than C drive  (Read 1496 times)

Offline jwvaughn

• Retired programmer
    • View Profile
Installing on other than C drive
« on: June 18, 2019, 02:40:38 PM »
I tend to install most apps on my D drive as the C drive is an SSD.  On release 3291, the install has hung on both my desktop and the laptop when changing the install directory to D.  I aborted the install several times on each after a minute or so.

Browsing to the folder did not work.

Changing C: to D:, going to the end of the line then hitting return did not work.

Changing the C: to D: and then clicking install did work after a delay.

The second part of this is that the install did not honor the Win 10 setting of where to install new apps.

Win 10 Pro, versions 1809, latest updates installed.

Jerry

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Installing on other than C drive
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 10:41:50 AM »
I tend to install most apps on my D drive as the C drive is an SSD.  On release 3291, the install has hung on both my desktop and the laptop when changing the install directory to D.  I aborted the install several times on each after a minute or so.

Browsing to the folder did not work.

Changing C: to D:, going to the end of the line then hitting return did not work.

Changing the C: to D: and then clicking install did work after a delay.

I'd like for you to run the Photo Mechanic 6 installer with logging.

• From within the Windows Search field type PowerShell
  • Locate Windows PowerShell App from the list and left mouse click on it
  • Inside of the PowerShell window type cd ~/Downloads and press the Enter key on your keyboard (assuming that the PM6SetupR3291.msi installer is located in your Downloads directory)
  • Inside of the PowerShell window enter msiexec /i "PM6SetupR3291.msi" /L*V! "PMInstall.log" and press the Enter key on your keyboard

The PM6SetupR3291.msi installer should run with verbose logging enabled.

Go through the installation process and try to repeat the problem you reported. When the problem occurs, send me the PMInstall.log file located in your Downloads folder. Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload the PMInstall.log file.

Thanks,

-Jerry
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 02:08:23 PM by Jerry H »

Offline jwvaughn

• Retired programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Installing on other than C drive
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 10:55:49 AM »
Grrr!  I uninstalled PM.  ran the powershell command line and, of course, it worked fine!  I won't have time to test anymore until Thursday but I think I will uninstall the current version, install an old version and see what happens when I try to install the newer version.

Jerry