Author Topic: Catalog usage in PM plus. Newbie  (Read 3484 times)

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
Catalog usage in PM plus. Newbie
« on: April 20, 2020, 05:53:46 PM »
I am new to Photo Mechanic and evaluating PM plus.  My primary usage is to create a catalog of my 300,000 raw images on my NAS and quickly search through them.  When I find images I want to edit, copy them over to my Mac and edit them using Capture One.

I am currently building the catalog.  Folder scanning is over and PM+ is currently gathering metadata.

Would PM+ work for my use case?  Can someone point me to tutorials / documentation on how to browse through a catalog and search through images? 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Catalog usage in PM plus. Newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 06:47:17 PM »
I am new to Photo Mechanic and evaluating PM plus.  My primary usage is to create a catalog of my 300,000 raw images on my NAS and quickly search through them.  When I find images I want to edit, copy them over to my Mac and edit them using Capture One.

I am currently building the catalog.  Folder scanning is over and PM+ is currently gathering metadata.

Would PM+ work for my use case?

It sure better or something is horribly wrong. ;)

Can someone point me to tutorials / documentation on how to browse through a catalog and search through images?

The best that we have at this time is the end of the ReadMe.pdf file (Getting Started section.)  Photo Mechanic Plus is still under heavy development and documentation lags the builds by quite a bit.  Feel free to look at messages from other users in this board and the Feature Requests board in the Photo Mechanic Plus Beta group.  And if you can't find what you're looking for, feel free to ask specific questions.

-Kirk

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 08:06:59 PM »
Thanks.  I will get started with the ReadMe.pdf.

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 08:14:31 PM »
ok, first feedback.  Organize - browse should be the default page when I launch the app :).

Would PM+ work for my use case?

It sure better or something is horribly wrong. ;)

Can someone point me to tutorials / documentation on how to browse through a catalog and search through images?

The best that we have at this time is the end of the ReadMe.pdf file (Getting Started section.)  Photo Mechanic Plus is still under heavy development and documentation lags the builds by quite a bit.  Feel free to look at messages from other users in this board and the Feature Requests board in the Photo Mechanic Plus Beta group.  And if you can't find what you're looking for, feel free to ask specific questions.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 09:17:10 PM »
ok, first feedback.  Organize - browse should be the default page when I launch the app :).

A lot of long time Photo Mechanic users would disagree.  But we should make it a preference.

-Kirk