Author Topic: Save As Dialoge: Add sharpening to converted (saved) file  (Read 5420 times)

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
Save As Dialoge: Add sharpening to converted (saved) file
« on: April 09, 2007, 06:33:19 AM »
When generating a Web Gallery using the templates, I can apply sharpening to the resized pictures used in the gallery (I assume the sharpening algorithm is optimized for web display based on the JPEG file dimension).

If I want to use some pictures on the web-site (but not as part of a web-gallery) I can use the 'Save As' function and save for example a TIFF file as JPEG, including resizing, sRGB convertion, watermark etc., but I don't see a function to apply sharpening. Due to the resulting resizing the saved JPEG's look 'soft'.

Is there a way to apply during the 'Save As' function to apply the same sharpening algorithm (when saving as JPEG) as used for generation of Web Galleries?

If not, could this functionality be added to the 'save as' dialoge box (perhaps a check-box called 'sharpening for web display' or something like that, which is active when JPEG is selected as output format).

Thanks,
Archer

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Save As Dialoge: Add sharpening to converted (saved) file
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 07:22:35 AM »
Archer,

When generating a Web Gallery using the templates, I can apply sharpening to the resized pictures used in the gallery (I assume the sharpening algorithm is optimized for web display based on the JPEG file dimension).

If I want to use some pictures on the web-site (but not as part of a web-gallery) I can use the 'Save As' function and save for example a TIFF file as JPEG, including resizing, sRGB convertion, watermark etc., but I don't see a function to apply sharpening. Due to the resulting resizing the saved JPEG's look 'soft'.

Is there a way to apply during the 'Save As' function to apply the same sharpening algorithm (when saving as JPEG) as used for generation of Web Galleries?

If not, could this functionality be added to the 'save as' dialoge box (perhaps a check-box called 'sharpening for web display' or something like that, which is active when JPEG is selected as output format).

You're right, it is currently not an option.  We plan to add full sharpening capabilities (completely adjustable) to all of the output dialogs in a future version.

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 07:46:10 AM »
Kirk,

Archer,

You're right, it is currently not an option.  We plan to add full sharpening capabilities (completely adjustable) to all of the output dialogs in a future version.

-Kirk

Great, looking forward to see it.

Thanks,
Archer

Offline mervifwdc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Merv Colton Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 03:34:01 AM »
Another person who would love to see that.
Merv.
Warning: Spell Checker disabled. Granma may be erotic.

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 10:03:27 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I was hoping that the sharpening function would make it into 4.5.2, but apperently it didn't.

Any idea when this will be implemented?

Thanks,