Author Topic: Still unable to create a Collection (Beta build 3328), trackball on Mac  (Read 12056 times)

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
I'm still unable to create a Collection. Using Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 3328 (da4b61a). MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra.

As I understand it, one is supposed to be able to create a Collection by right clicking into the empty area on the Collections pane. As I noted in an earlier beta post, I can't bring up the contextual menu with CTRL-click (the usual Mac equivalent of right click). I'm using a Kensington Orbit trackball and have tried both right and left mouse buttons with regular click, CTRL-click, Option-click, and CMD-click. No luck.

What am I missing?
-- Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Mark,

Do other parts of Photo Mechanic react to Ctrl-click or right-click via your trackball?

-Kirk

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
Mark,

Do other parts of Photo Mechanic react to Ctrl-click or right-click via your trackball?

-Kirk

Yes, I can use Ctrl-click (left or right) on the Contact Sheet to click a thumbnail and bring up the contextual menu. I can also make non-contiguous selections using Cmd-click and Shift-click of thumbnails in the Contact Sheet and for items in the Filter pane in the Organizer (e.g., to select different color classes or labels).

-- Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Mark,

Interesting.  Can you bring up a contextual menu anywhere at all in the Organizer?

-Kirk

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
Can you bring up a contextual menu anywhere at all in the Organizer?

I can bring up the Quick Search contextual menu by using Ctrl-click (left or right) in the search box and the Tasks contextual menu by using Ctrl-click (left or right) on an individual task. But the middle section (Filter, Browse, Collections tabs) appears oblivious to Ctrl-click.
-- Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Mark,

Even stranger still.  Can you tell me the model number of your trackball?  I see that there are a number of models of the "Orbit Trackball Mouse" available.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
Even stranger still.  Can you tell me the model number of your trackball?  I see that there are a number of models of the "Orbit Trackball Mouse" available.

Kensington Orbit Optical Trackball, M/N M01307, P/N K64327.

Some other relevant information... In my Kensington Trackball Works software preferences, my right button is programmed to "Drag" for all applications. The left button is set to default "Click." (I normally use Ctrl-left click to simulate right click, which works for every other app.) For troubleshooting, I created a specific profile for PM+ and assigned the right button to "right click." This works to bring up the Collections contextual menu, but now I can't select any item from the menu (with either button).

PM+ honors Ctrl-left click (=right click) for other areas of the UI, but not that middle part of the Organizer area, so there appears to be a bug in the way that portion of the UI responds to trackball clicks. Very odd.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 08:36:24 PM by syncrasy »
-- Mark

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
Kirk, any progress on solving this problem? (Still persists in Beta v R3413.)
-- Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.

I did buy the trackball but I haven't had the time to work on the problem.  When I do fix the problem, I will be contacting you with personal messages and links to test builds for you to confirm that the problem has been fixed.

-Kirk

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
I did buy the trackball but I haven't had the time to work on the problem.  When I do fix the problem, I will be contacting you with personal messages and links to test builds for you to confirm that the problem has been fixed.

Thanks. No rush.
-- Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Thank you.  While we want to spend most of our development efforts on PM+, there are some significant issues in PM6 that users are experiencing that we have to fix first.  This latest PM+ build does not address the issues that you all have reported to us, but it at least extends the beta period so you can continue to use it.

-Kirk

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
Same problem
Mac Mojave and PM+ 3413

Impossible to have a new collection. I have two old made with an older PM+, no problem with them.
 No reaction when I ask for a new collection.
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Mark,

I think I have fixed the problem.  I tested with the Kensington Orbit Trackball, model M01399, K64327 and I can now right-click or ctrl-left-click to create/modify a Collection with this build:

https://www.camerabits.com/download/PhotoMechanicPlusR3416.dmg

Please try it and let me know how it works for you.

-Kirk

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
Mark,

I think I have fixed the problem.  I tested with the Kensington Orbit Trackball, model M01399, K64327 and I can now right-click or ctrl-left-click to create/modify a Collection with this build:

-Kirk

Kirk,

Hmmmm. R3416 is almost, but not quite, there. Ctrl-left-click now brings up the contextual menu, but I can't select any item in the menu (with either the left or right button). So all I can do is make the menu appear and disappear.

FYI... I installed the previous build of PM+ (R3413) on my virtual Windows 7 on this same computer (via VMWare Fusion), and the trackball works as expected to create/modify collections (using Ctrl-left-click as programmed by the Mac preferences in the Kensington device software, Trackball Works). This at least proves that my trackball is working and the issue is restricted to the Mac version of PM+.

I'm a little perplexed why you would have to program the code to be so device specific. I would have thought that "a device is a device is a device" (since I have never experienced this issue with any of the hundreds of others app on my Mac).
-- Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Mark,

-Kirk

Kirk,

Hmmmm. R3416 is almost, but not quite, there. Ctrl-left-click now brings up the contextual menu, but I can't select any item in the menu (with either the left or right button). So all I can do is make the menu appear and disappear.

FYI... I installed the previous build of PM+ (R3413) on my virtual Windows 7 on this same computer (via VMWare Fusion), and the trackball works as expected to create/modify collections (using Ctrl-left-click as programmed by the Mac preferences in the Kensington device software, Trackball Works). This at least proves that my trackball is working and the issue is restricted to the Mac version of PM+.

I'm a little perplexed why you would have to program the code to be so device specific. I would have thought that "a device is a device is a device" (since I have never experienced this issue with any of the hundreds of others app on my Mac).

I doubt it is specific to your device.  Once we realized how it was happening with your Trackball, I was also able to reproduce with an Apple Magic Trackpad.

-Kirk