Author Topic: Order of reading metadata  (Read 3841 times)

Offline dd-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Order of reading metadata
« on: June 28, 2017, 01:33:56 PM »
In Preferences / IPTC/XMP, we get to specify the order in which embedded IPTC, embedded XMP, and XMP sidecar files are read.  However, it doesn't seem to say anywhere what that means.

In particular -- is the first value for a field the one that the metadata screens show, or is it the last (in the order selected in preferences)?  And is it per field, or overall? (I've seen various products over the years that use pretty much all possible permutations here, so no, it's not "obvious". Now, I might say that at least some of the weirder combinations are simply wrong, but I've still seen them.)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Order of reading metadata
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 02:25:38 PM »
It is overall, not per field.

If data is found for your first choice, then the second and third choices will not be read.  If data is not found for your first choice, then the second choice will be attempted and if successful the third choice will not be read.  If the first and second choices are not successful then the third choice will be attempted.  If none of the choices result in metadata being read, then the image will not have any metadata (other than shooting data) associated with it.

-Kirk

Offline dd-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Order of reading metadata
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 10:11:44 AM »
Excellent!  That is, your explanation is clear, and the behavior of the software can be worked with (perhaps even it's the behavior that makes the most sense given the names of the settings).