Photo Mechanic > General Discussion

Ingest Questions

(1/2) > >>

stoner27:
Hi,

Just a few questions on Ingesting. Not sure if I'm doing it right but this is how I'm doing it. I have my stationary pad set up (mainly for keywords, title Etc) i ingest the card from my camera after day 1 to cull, this works fine, all keyword Etc in place. When i ingest on the 2nd day the photos from the previous ingest are still there which is very confusing. How do i get around this ?

I tried a different way at the weekend, i put the photos from the camera into a folder on my desktop and ingested them from there, the problem with that was there were no Stationary Pad things there (keywords Etc)

What am i doing wrong & what is the best way to ingest & keep keywords etc in place ?

Col

Hayo Baan:
For your first method, have you enabled incremental ingest? That should prevent the already ingested images from being ingested again.  For the second method, this should have worked too as long as you are applying the metadata data stationary during ingest as well...

stoner27:
Thanks for your reply Hayo,

Not sure about incremental but will check and and that should fix that.

Not really sure what why the keywords went on to the folder I ingested, I presumed The Stationary Pad was oils automatically apply them ?

stoner27:
It's set to incremental !

Col

Mick O (Camera Bits):
"When i ingest on the 2nd day the photos from the previous ingest are still there which is very confusing." 

When you say the photos  "are still there" do you mean in the place where you ingest your files?  Did you move them? If you did not move them, then yes they would still be there in that same folder.

The Ingest process copies files from your memory card to a folder on your computer. If you come back and ingest more files later, Photo Mechanic will put them in the same place (depending on your settings) and will open up that folder and show all the files in that folder.

When you Ingest, there is the option to use the "global" Metadata Pad or a "local" pad

The Global pad will remember the last keywords that you used no matter where in the process that you open it. The Local pad will only use the keywords on that Ingest. If you use the (Global) Stationary pad later on during a Move process, the keywords you use from the Local pad will not be there.

Note: you can use the "lightning bolt" snapshot button (lower left of the Pad) to save your Metadata Pad settings, including keywords, to use later on, no matter if you are using Global or Local.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version