Author Topic: Ingest Questions  (Read 4713 times)

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
    • Colin Port Images Motorsport Photography
Ingest Questions
« on: June 26, 2019, 11:26:12 PM »
Hi,

Just a few questions on Ingesting. Not sure if I'm doing it right but this is how I'm doing it. I have my stationary pad set up (mainly for keywords, title Etc) i ingest the card from my camera after day 1 to cull, this works fine, all keyword Etc in place. When i ingest on the 2nd day the photos from the previous ingest are still there which is very confusing. How do i get around this ?

I tried a different way at the weekend, i put the photos from the camera into a folder on my desktop and ingested them from there, the problem with that was there were no Stationary Pad things there (keywords Etc)

What am i doing wrong & what is the best way to ingest & keep keywords etc in place ?

Col

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Ingest Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 03:26:54 AM »
For your first method, have you enabled incremental ingest? That should prevent the already ingested images from being ingested again.  For the second method, this should have worked too as long as you are applying the metadata data stationary during ingest as well...
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 04:05:33 AM »
Thanks for your reply Hayo,

Not sure about incremental but will check and and that should fix that.

Not really sure what why the keywords went on to the folder I ingested, I presumed The Stationary Pad was oils automatically apply them ?

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 10:22:45 AM »
It's set to incremental !

Col

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 11:45:16 AM »
"When i ingest on the 2nd day the photos from the previous ingest are still there which is very confusing." 

When you say the photos  "are still there" do you mean in the place where you ingest your files?  Did you move them? If you did not move them, then yes they would still be there in that same folder.

The Ingest process copies files from your memory card to a folder on your computer. If you come back and ingest more files later, Photo Mechanic will put them in the same place (depending on your settings) and will open up that folder and show all the files in that folder.

When you Ingest, there is the option to use the "global" Metadata Pad or a "local" pad

The Global pad will remember the last keywords that you used no matter where in the process that you open it. The Local pad will only use the keywords on that Ingest. If you use the (Global) Stationary pad later on during a Move process, the keywords you use from the Local pad will not be there.

Note: you can use the "lightning bolt" snapshot button (lower left of the Pad) to save your Metadata Pad settings, including keywords, to use later on, no matter if you are using Global or Local.
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 02:22:38 PM »
Thanks Mick O,

This is how I do it. I ingest my card & cull, I have empty folders on my desktop for each class, when they are culled I select ‘untagged’ & drag the photos for each class into their folders in my desktop. I import them from there into Lightroom. Is this correct ? When I ingest my card from the 2nd day that’s when i think it brings up the previous days photos up too.

Am I doing it right or do you have another way ?

So when It’s opening the photos from the folder

Col
Is it best to just leave it on Global then as I change the stationary pad for each meeting ?

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 03:22:37 PM »
Apologies for never having replied to this.   It is hard for me to picture what is going on with your process.  If you are only selecting some untagged files from your ingest folder but leaving the rest there then yes I would expect those tagged photos to still show up in that place the next time you ingest.  Or if you are not formatting your card, then those files could be getting ingested again.

There is no one way to do any of this, so getting to a place that works for you in your situation is the goal.    I will note that our technical support team often will do screen-sharing sessions with folks to help them figure out ways to accomplish things or to troubleshoot things that may be confusing.  For this particular case I might suggest that a few minutes with one of our agents might explain things much faster than me guessing at some of this.  They could probably look at your scenario and explain in an instant why files are in a certain place when you don't expect them to be there.

Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits