Author Topic: Find (Ctrl-F) Takes Much Longer in PM6 vs PM5  (Read 3946 times)

Offline jleblanc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Find (Ctrl-F) Takes Much Longer in PM6 vs PM5
« on: June 01, 2019, 06:34:36 PM »
When PM6 (Build 3143) is opened and I try to find a particular part of a filename (in a directory that contains approximately 7K NEF files), PM will take somewhere between 30 seconds to 1 minute to highlight the searched for files.  If I do another search for a different filename, PM6 finds it within a second.  If I use PM5 to do the exact same search in the same directory, it finds the files within 1 second the very first time. The "Caching" settings are exactly the same between PM5 and PM6, except the Memory cache size for PM5 is 512MB and the Memory cache size for PM6 is 10% or 4091MB. Do I have some variable set wrong in PM6 to cause this ridiculously long initial search time? This is definitely NOT an issue with PM5.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Find (Ctrl-F) Takes Much Longer in PM6 vs PM5
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 06:44:07 PM »
When PM6 (Build 3143) is opened and I try to find a particular part of a filename (in a directory that contains approximately 7K NEF files), PM will take somewhere between 30 seconds to 1 minute to highlight the searched for files.  If I do another search for a different filename, PM6 finds it within a second.  If I use PM5 to do the exact same search in the same directory, it finds the files within 1 second the very first time. The "Caching" settings are exactly the same between PM5 and PM6, except the Memory cache size for PM5 is 512MB and the Memory cache size for PM6 is 10% or 4091MB. Do I have some variable set wrong in PM6 to cause this ridiculously long initial search time? This is definitely NOT an issue with PM5.

What do your Find settings look like?  Can you also provide a listing of the filenames (partial is fine.)

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline jleblanc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 12:07:30 PM »
In the Find popup window:
Find: "Any of the words"
In: "All items"
Searching: "Filenames" checked

I'm attaching a short list of files. I typically search for the a# within a filename ... e.g. a796078.

Johnny

Offline jleblanc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 10:27:52 AM »
So PM6 just sucks at Ctrl-F searches of filenames compared to PM5?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 10:33:29 AM »
So PM6 just sucks at Ctrl-F searches of filenames compared to PM5?

Yes, in the build you have.  The next build of PM6 will address this problem.

The test build linked in this post has the improvement in it: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=12532.msg61560#msg61560  Please give it a try.

-Kirk

Offline jleblanc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 05:24:31 PM »
Finally installed the 3331 build.  Ctrl-f search works fine now.  Thanks!

Johnny