Author Topic: Database size and options  (Read 3246 times)

Offline jarle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Database size and options
« on: November 30, 2020, 11:52:22 PM »
Testing PM Plus. I'm worried about database size, cataloging several TB of images. I was expecting to see an option to tweak the size and quality of thumbnails and preview images, but cannot find anything (except for the generate preview and thumbnail proxy under Catalog management). An option to generate thumbnails but not preview images would be perfect and save a lot of space. Am I missing something?

Jarle

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Database size and options
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 09:02:11 AM »
Jarle,

Testing PM Plus. I'm worried about database size, cataloging several TB of images. I was expecting to see an option to tweak the size and quality of thumbnails and preview images, but cannot find anything (except for the generate preview and thumbnail proxy under Catalog management). An option to generate thumbnails but not preview images would be perfect and save a lot of space. Am I missing something?

No.  Those options are not currently offered.  If you'd like to make a feature request, see this post: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13555.0

-Kirk

Offline jarle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 09:34:45 AM »
Ok. I've submitted a feature request.

Offline JSW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 03:02:52 AM »
I'll second that. I've got over half a million photos and my catalog is 180Gb and still growing. I rebooted my PC and it took 20 mins to log in because the catalogue is in the user area "C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Photo Mechanic Catalogs". Really daft idea to put it there. I've moved to to the root of c: and now I can log into Windows in 20 secs again. However I'd like to control the size of the thumbnails, as that'a a lot of space to take up.

Offline JSW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 03:23:04 AM »
Any update to this? I've had another look at PM+ and I can't see an option to control the size of the thumbnails. Is there a way to do this? Not wanting  PM+ to cripple my computer again.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 09:10:49 AM »
Any update to this? I've had another look at PM+ and I can't see an option to control the size of the thumbnails. Is there a way to do this? Not wanting  PM+ to cripple my computer again.

In the latest builds you can control the size of the proxy images.  You can choose any size at 512 pixels on the longest side or above.

See the attached image.