Author Topic: Rename images during the same second, no sub-second in camera  (Read 2689 times)

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I recently moved from Nikon to Olympus and found that Olympus does not record the sub-seconds.  I would like to keep all images taken within the same second in the proper order.  To complicate things, my wife and I often shoot together, which gives me double the chance of multiple shots in the same second.  What I have done at this time is the following:
{year4}{month0}{day0}-{hour24}{minute}{second}-{seqn}-={snum}=

This works, but I would like to figure out if I can do something without the sequence number.  What would be ideal would be to replace the sequence number with the sequence within the second, or just use the suffix added to the duplicate file name.

I have looked at all the variables, the closest I found was "unique" which it appears the Olympus does not have either.  I am not sure if the duplicate file name is something that PM adds, or if that is done by the filesystem, my guess it is the file system.

Any other thoughts on how to do this, or is the sequence number the best way to go?  I could stuff the file name in there instead, but it is longer than I would like.

Thanks in advance for any other ideas/thoughts.

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Rename images during the same second, no sub-second in camera
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 07:17:04 PM »
Further reading I see that perhaps using a code replacement:
{fbas}5,4

might get me what I need.  If I understand this correctly, _6160001.ORF would turn into 0001, which would be quite sufficient as I only need to keep them in order.  I could even get away with the last two, but if I leave 4 I can also track back to the card if need be.

Do I have this correct?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Rename images during the same second, no sub-second in camera
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 08:58:24 PM »
Further reading I see that perhaps using a code replacement:
{fbas}5,4

might get me what I need.  If I understand this correctly, _6160001.ORF would turn into 0001, which would be quite sufficient as I only need to keep them in order.  I could even get away with the last two, but if I leave 4 I can also track back to the card if need be.

Do I have this correct?

You're not using Code Replacement in your example above, rather, it's "Variable Substring Extraction" and it takes the following form:

{variable:start,count}

You'd need to use {fbas:5,4} or better: {fbas:-4,4} which starts at the end of the string and will work with any string of letters/digits as long as there are at least four.

HTH,

-Kirk