Author Topic: Navigation Issues  (Read 3526 times)

Offline ghost77uk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Navigation Issues
« on: July 11, 2019, 03:05:34 PM »
Hi.

Two issues with the navigation using PM6 that I've been unable to find a fix for which is starting to drive me a bit crazy.
Both systems below are using PM6 V3331

First issue:
iMac running High Sierra V. 10.13.6
i5 3.4GHz with 24GB Ram

Issue when copying folders from laptop to external drive or when creating new folders on external drive. Navigation does not update - The only way I can see the new folders is to close and re-open PM. Refresh etc does not work.
Navigation works fine if the folder is copied or created to the internal hard drive. Only appears to be an issue with the external drive and I had no issues in PM5.

Second issue:
MacBook Pro running Mojave V. 10.14.5
i7 3.1GHz with 16GB Ram

When creating subfolders the new folder automatically names itself as "Default Folder". On my iMac if I create a new subfolder PM automatically expands the folder and takes me to the folder ready for renaming. Currently I have to click to expand the folder and then rename it - Is there a setting in PM6 to change so it works the same as my iMac?

Thanks,
Steve

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Navigation Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 04:07:02 PM »
Steve,

Two issues with the navigation using PM6 that I've been unable to find a fix for which is starting to drive me a bit crazy.
Both systems below are using PM6 V3331

First issue:
iMac running High Sierra V. 10.13.6
i5 3.4GHz with 24GB Ram

Issue when copying folders from laptop to external drive or when creating new folders on external drive. Navigation does not update - The only way I can see the new folders is to close and re-open PM. Refresh etc does not work.

Are you using the contextual menu in the Navigator to do the refreshing?  Closing the parent folder and expanding it doesn't reveal the new folder?

Navigation works fine if the folder is copied or created to the internal hard drive. Only appears to be an issue with the external drive and I had no issues in PM5.

That's odd.

Second issue:
MacBook Pro running Mojave V. 10.14.5
i7 3.1GHz with 16GB Ram

When creating subfolders the new folder automatically names itself as "Default Folder". On my iMac if I create a new subfolder PM automatically expands the folder and takes me to the folder ready for renaming. Currently I have to click to expand the folder and then rename it - Is there a setting in PM6 to change so it works the same as my iMac?

You can right-click on a folder in the Navigator and choose "Preferences..." on both systems to compare settings.

But there is no setting that I know of that makes the Navigator misbehave in the manner you describe.

Could you make a screen recording where you reproduce these problems and share it with me?  If I can reproduce the problem then I can very likely fix it in short order.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline ghost77uk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 06:34:53 AM »
Thanks Kirk. Appreciate the time taken to reply.

Are you using the contextual menu in the Navigator to do the refreshing?  Closing the parent folder and expanding it doesn't reveal the new folder?

Yes to both. Previously in PM I would just close the parent folder and re-expand it to reveal the new or deleted folder(s). Now the only way I can see the change is by closing and re-opening PM6

You can right-click on a folder in the Navigator and choose "Preferences..." on both systems to compare settings.

But there is no setting that I know of that makes the Navigator misbehave in the manner you describe.

Could you make a screen recording where you reproduce these problems and share it with me?  If I can reproduce the problem then I can very likely fix it in short order.

Hopefully the video attaches. You will the first subfolder works correctly - It's the second subfolder and beyond that's the issue.

Thanks,
Steve

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 07:18:17 AM »
Your video did attach and I was able to download it.  It is very small but I was able to watch you interact with the Favorites. (not the Navigator)

There is something indeed going wrong with the creation of new folders as depicted in your video, but I did not see the problem that you stated required restarting PM6 in order to see the updated tree.  You expanded the folder that should have been expanded for you (but wasn't) and the new folder appeared.

How does one reproduce the problem where the new folder won't ever appear no matter what you do inside PM6?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline ghost77uk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 06:56:54 AM »
Your video did attach and I was able to download it.  It is very small but I was able to watch you interact with the Favorites. (not the Navigator)

I didn't realise it was so small - I tried to keep size down as wasn't sure limits for uploading here.

I just tried again from Navigator rather than Favourites and it works correctly as it should. So I will just adjust my workflow to always use Navigator (Apologies I thought Favourites was just part of the Navigator).

There is something indeed going wrong with the creation of new folders as depicted in your video, but I did not see the problem that you stated required restarting PM6 in order to see the updated tree.  You expanded the folder that should have been expanded for you (but wasn't) and the new folder appeared.

How does one reproduce the problem where the new folder won't ever appear no matter what you do inside PM6?

I've attached a video from the iMac issue of new folders not appearing in the navigator. You will see I attempted to create a new folder four times and on each occasion the navigator would just move and to an existing folder not even in the correct part of the tree ready for renaming. Upon closing and re-opening PM6 and expanding the external drive you will then see the the four Untitled Folders that I created. Very odd.

Thanks again Kirk.
Steve

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 07:03:37 AM »
Steve,

I didn't realise it was so small - I tried to keep size down as wasn't sure limits for uploading here.

I just tried again from Navigator rather than Favourites and it works correctly as it should. So I will just adjust my workflow to always use Navigator (Apologies I thought Favourites was just part of the Navigator).

You should be able to do the same operations in both the Favorites and Navigator equally well.  You shouldn't have to change your ways.  If you can help me reproduce the problem, then I can fix it.

I've attached a video from the iMac issue of new folders not appearing in the navigator. You will see I attempted to create a new folder four times and on each occasion the navigator would just move and to an existing folder not even in the correct part of the tree ready for renaming. Upon closing and re-opening PM6 and expanding the external drive you will then see the the four Untitled Folders that I created. Very odd.

That is unusual, thank you for the video.  Is there anything special about that drive?  Is it a network drive?

-Kirk

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 11:46:40 AM »
Is there anything special about that drive?  Is it a network drive?

-Kirk

I am willing to bet its exFAT. I have reproduced this with a few exFAT drives, but no other format.

Offline ghost77uk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 06:36:28 AM »

-Kirk

I am willing to bet its exFAT. I have reproduced this with a few exFAT drives, but no other format.

Correct. I just checked via Disk Utility. What's the solution - Reformatting the drive?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 07:53:19 AM »

Correct. I just checked via Disk Utility. What's the solution - Reformatting the drive?

No, we should fix the problem.

You shouldn't have to change anything on your system.

-Kirk

Offline ghost77uk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 12:01:05 PM »

No, we should fix the problem.

You shouldn't have to change anything on your system.

-Kirk

Thanks Kirk. Let me know if you need anything from me to help correct the issue...
Cheers,
Steve