Author Topic: Apple Catalina  (Read 2313 times)

Offline Frank

• View Profile
    • Frank Fitzpatrick Photography
Apple Catalina
« on: July 16, 2019, 12:02:19 PM »
I am about to take delivery of a new iMac with 3 Tb storage, 16 Gb memory and Mohave OS. I am still using PM 5. I thought that I saw somewhere on the forum that PM 5 is not compatible with the new Catalina OS coming out in the Autumn? I hope that I imagined it as I am not keen on the prospect of buying new software (PM 6) just after starting to learn a new OS.

Did I get this wrong?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Apple Catalina
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 12:06:59 PM »
Frank,

I am about to take delivery of a new iMac with 3 Tb storage, 16 Gb memory and Mohave OS. I am still using PM 5. I thought that I saw somewhere on the forum that PM 5 is not compatible with the new Catalina OS coming out in the Autumn? I hope that I imagined it as I am not keen on the prospect of buying new software (PM 6) just after starting to learn a new OS.

Did I get this wrong?

PM5 will not run on macOS Catalina.  PM6 runs on macOS Catalina though there is a warning because PM6 has not yet been "Notarized" by Apple (its an additional layer of security that Apple now provides on macOS Catalina--the warning is harmless and PM6 functions correctly.  We will address that minor issue soon.)

You will need to upgrade to PM6 for your new system.

-Kirk

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 01:39:45 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks for the prompt response. May I clarify that PM5 will not work with Mohave?

Thanks

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 03:02:54 PM »
PM5 works fine on Mojave.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 01:05:13 AM »
Hayo thanks for your response. Have been using iMac with PM 5 and seems to be working fine.

Something has also occurred to me regarding PM 5 and Catalina. I presume that Catalina will have security improvements in the same way that Windows does with updates. If I stick with PM5 but do not update to Catalina does this make my Mac more vulnerable? At present not keen on PM6 as it seems to be slow compared to PM5. I could update to Catalina and use Adobe Bridge with PS CC but this would entail a new workflow.

Your comments, and any other comments, would be appreciated.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 01:19:43 AM »
As far as I understood, Apple will provide updates for Mojave and High Sierra for two years after Catalina. So you should be fine for at least that period of time.

I’m using PM6 on Mojave and have not seen any of the reported slowness; for me PM6 is super fast. Both on my old 2012 MacBook Pro and my new 2019 one. For most (I’d say almost all) users, the latest PM6 release is fast.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl