Author Topic: Better labeling of filenames while viewing in 2 up view  (Read 4144 times)

Offline sdwheeler

• Newcomer
  • Photo Mechanic daily user since 2001
    • View Profile
    • Simon Wheeler Photography
Better labeling of filenames while viewing in 2 up view
« on: July 16, 2019, 01:04:53 PM »
When I am using the side by side or top and bottom two up view it is very hard to tell which file is which from the filename text that is across the top of the window. If I'm trying to compare to versions of a finished file to compare color balance, or sharpening and they have similar filenames with different endings its almost impossible to tell while filename goes with which image.  If there were some space between the two names that would help. What would be better would be if you clicked on one and the filename popped in some way that would be hugely helpful.

Thank you for reading and considering.
Simon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Better labeling of filenames while viewing in 2 up view
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 03:25:26 PM »
Simon,

Could you post a screenshot that depicts the problem you're having?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline sdwheeler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 04:57:47 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Thank you for the fast response. The line of text across the top is the two file names. In this case I'm trying to preview two files, one of which has different sharpening settings applied so the file names are almost identical. If there could be a break or gap between the two names that would help. Even better if the filename of active one of the pair could be highlighted behind the filename the way the selected image is so you know which file name went with which image that would be spectacular. I've resorted to color coding them differently so I can tell which is which. This a an awesome feature for comparing images is greatly hampered by not being able to quickly match the image with it's filename.

thanks for reading.
Simon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 06:14:20 PM »
Simon,

Wow, those are some really long filenames.  Ever thought of putting that info in a metadata field instead?

Regardless, you could be showing the {filename} variable in your Info Text and you would definitively see the name in the Info Text pane and there would be no doubt as to which file is which (only the selected info is shown, the other pane does not have its metadata displayed at the same time.)

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline sdwheeler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 01:09:31 PM »
Not my usual filename convention. A job from a couple of years ago that I had to revisit and revise leading to super ugly names. I'm used to using the {filenamebase} variable to get filenames into IPTC fields. I'm not familiar with the Info Text field and don't see it in my Metadata template or the right hand panel in the one up display. I must be missing something.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 05:03:14 PM »
Simon,

Not my usual filename convention. A job from a couple of years ago that I had to revisit and revise leading to super ugly names. I'm used to using the {filenamebase} variable to get filenames into IPTC fields. I'm not familiar with the Info Text field and don't see it in my Metadata template or the right hand panel in the one up display. I must be missing something.

It's visible in your screenshot above.  The bunch of text with the word "Info" above it.

You can edit what appears there by changing the "Info Text": Edit->Settings->Set Info Text...

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline sdwheeler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 04:53:18 PM »
Hi Kirk,

That solves it. Thank you. I didn't understand what you meant by "Info Text" until you pointed me to the screen shot. I remember knowing for years that it was customizable but had never tried to do so.

I very much appreciate the help. Your company has the best support of any I know.

Simon