Author Topic: IPTC Info Panel Field Associated with Incorrect Drop-Down Selection List  (Read 2996 times)

Offline treetreetree

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
The context for this project is scanning old prints, slides, and negatives with a digital camera.

I recently customized the IPTC Info template.  I need to hold a slide number/negative number temporarily in order to build a file name.  I selected the "Edit Getty: Routing Destination Regions" element to hold the slide or negative number. I gave it the label "Slide Number".

Since that change, the next input box on the IPTC Info template after "Slide Number" is "Persons Shown". However, instead of my customized list of people, I get "Edit Getty: Routing Destination Customers" in the drop-down. I have attached a screen shot of the IPTC Info customization panel.

How can I get the customized list of people associated with the "Persons Show" input field again?

Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 3331 (38ae33c) [unmerged]

Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1

Thank you,
Kate

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Kate,

Could you please post a shot of what the Metadata (IPTC) Template looks like as well?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline treetreetree

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Kirk,

I attached a screen capture of the IPTC metadata template to this message. I also attached a screen capture of the "Persons Shown" attribute in the IPTC Info Panel in case that would be helpful as well.

Please let me know what additional information you need.

Thank you for diagnosing this issue.

Kate---

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Kate,

In the Customize Metadata (IPTC) Info dialog, can you click on the snapshot button (bottom left corner, has a lightning bolt icon on it) and save your settings as a snapshot?  Then click on that button again and choose "Manage Snapshots..." (which will bring a Windows Explorer forward showing the folder containing your new snapshot.) Then reply to this message and attach the snapshot file so that I can download it and try it out on my system, please?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Kate,

Neither of those are what I'm wanting.  I want the snapshot of your customized Metadata (IPTC) Info layout (where you changed the label of the Getty Routing Destinations field.)

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline treetreetree

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Kirk,

I confirmed the Getty reference was in this snapshot. If you cannot replicate the error, you may need to send very specific instructions on how to capture the snapshot correctly. 

Kate

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Kate,

I confirmed the Getty reference was in this snapshot. If you cannot replicate the error, you may need to send very specific instructions on how to capture the snapshot correctly.

That's still not the snapshot that I'm looking for.  Here are specific instructions:

1) Launch PM6
2) From the Edit menu choose "Preferences..."
3) Click on the "Accessibility" tab
4) Click on the "Metadata (IPTC) Info" button in the "Metadata (IPTC) Dialogs" group box
5) In the "Customize Metadata (IPTC) Info" dialog, click on the snapshot button and then click on the "Save..." button and give your snapshot a name.  Click on the OK button.
6) After your snapshot is saved, click on the snapshot button again but this time choose "Manage Snapshots..." from the menu.  A Windows Explorer window will come forward with the folder containing all of your IPTC Info (Metadata IPTC Info) snapshots.  Open the folder and find the snapshot you just saved.
7) Reply to this message and attach the new snapshot you just located.

I want the settings of your layout.  If I can get my Metadata Info dialog to behave incorrectly like yours does then I can probably fix the problem for the next PM6 build.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline treetreetree

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Kirk,

I was way off in what I was capturing for your troubleshooting efforts, so thanks much for the specific instructions.

Kate

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Kate,

I was way off in what I was capturing for your troubleshooting efforts, so thanks much for the specific instructions.

Thanks.  I'm able to reproduce the problem.  I will get it fixed.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Kate,

After further investigation, I see that the Getty Routing Destinations has two popup menus, one stacked on top of the other.  Normally that field is four lines long and that keeps the two stacked popup menus from covering up the next field below it.  This is by design.

You can either make the field at least three lines tall, or use the Getty Routing Exclusions field instead, which only has one popup menu and shouldn't cause the popup menu of Persons Shown to be covered up.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline treetreetree

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
And there ya go.  Works perfectly Kirk.  I used Getty Routing Exclusions with success. I am glad to get that sorted.

I very much appreciate all of your help and patience.

Regards,
Kate

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
And there ya go.  Works perfectly Kirk.  I used Getty Routing Exclusions with success. I am glad to get that sorted.

I very much appreciate all of your help and patience.

You're welcome, Kate.

-Kirk