Author Topic: ftp window progress hiden behind rotation arrow  (Read 2767 times)

Offline patrickhamilton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
ftp window progress hiden behind rotation arrow
« on: July 19, 2019, 03:21:28 AM »
Hi guys ...a couple of things .
1,  How do I turn off rotation arrows , so I can see the ftp window in proofsheets . I have turned this off in preferences , but they still are hiden behinde the arrow and issue still exists.
2. How do I keep my favorites in the same order? Every time I restart PM, the order changes back to a default and I have to change back to name acending ... very annoying.
3. Should I keep Raw&Jpg combined together ? I have noticed thumbnails appearing differently. I mainly shoot Canon RAW files, but for tigher deadlines I shoot jpg. How should PM be setup ?
4. Is there a simple area which explains the preference setup in more detail ?
5. When will the latest version speed issue be fixed ...... ?

thanks in advance P.
Patrick Hamilton I Photographer I shoephone +61(0)419 683 900 I skype patrickghamilton I www.patrickhamilton.com.au I patrick@patrickhamilton.com.au

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: ftp window progress hiden behind rotation arrow
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 09:05:03 AM »
Hi guys ...a couple of things .
1,  How do I turn off rotation arrows , so I can see the ftp window in proofsheets . I have turned this off in preferences , but they still are hiden behinde the arrow and issue still exists.

Sorry, but I'm not following you.  Could you post an annotated screen shot showing what you're talking about?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

2. How do I keep my favorites in the same order? Every time I restart PM, the order changes back to a default and I have to change back to name acending ... very annoying.

Sounds like your preferences aren't being saved properly.  For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2800 option 2

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

3. Should I keep Raw&Jpg combined together ? I have noticed thumbnails appearing differently. I mainly shoot Canon RAW files, but for tigher deadlines I shoot jpg. How should PM be setup ?

We recommend that if you have RAWs and JPEGs of the same name that you pair them so that metadata changes will be kept in sync on both images.

4. Is there a simple area which explains the preference setup in more detail ?

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Preferences

5. When will the latest version speed issue be fixed ...... ?

Are you experiencing speed problems yourself?

-Kirk

Offline patrickhamilton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 02:41:11 PM »
Screenshots showing ftp window hidden behind rotate window...... how do I get rid of rotate widow . or maybe move the ftp window so it can be seen.
Patrick Hamilton I Photographer I shoephone +61(0)419 683 900 I skype patrickghamilton I www.patrickhamilton.com.au I patrick@patrickhamilton.com.au

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 04:49:18 PM »
Can't you just move your mouse cursor off of the thumbnail that has a progress bar that you wish to see when you want to see it?  It's what you did in the second screenshot.

-Kirk

Offline patrickhamilton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: ftp window progress hiden behind rotation arrow - message 1
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 04:35:50 AM »
Hi Kirk

I'm having a number of issues with Photo Mechanic 6, and added to the very slow performance of the latest version,  IS adding to the frustration. I use PM 6 on two Macs - 1 iMac in my office and 1 new macbook pro. I have had to upgade to a new laptop when the logic board died 3 weeks ago, so I tranfered PM from my desktop Imac, since then I have had all of these issues on both machines - I have tried to keep both sets of preferences uniform, but both machines are displaying some very weird behaviour  Is it at all possible to keep PM settings in the cloud, which could then be accessed for multiple machines or do I need to keep two versions on two machines ?

1. Issues with cr2 files :  Thumbnails are showing different exposure. Is this because "combine RAW+JPEG into single thumbnail" is ticked? If so, these edited thumbnails are reacting inconsistently, annoying, not to mention dissconcerting. As you can see, the colour coded red files are the cr2 selects which have been edited and exported from lightroom - but other unedited files, appear to be display similar tone profile. Why ? This behaviour has only started to appear recently. see attached  1 thumbnail and render cache. note Enable RAW rendering is NOT ticked. Should it be ?

2. Preview Name acending :  Preview Name acending changes everytime I reopen PM. How do I save my default so I do not have to revert back to my preferred setting ? see attached  2 preview name ascending.

3. Soft Rotation Indicator : Why am I still seeing this ? I rarely use this and have it unticked, but I still see it. It also interfers with the ftp indicator, which is hidden behind the right hand rotate arrow. Also is it possible to keep the sent ftp indicator  when the folder is closed and reopened. This would be handy when revisting an send folder . Just a thought . see attached  3a + 3b soft rotation.

If I do need to reinstall PM because it does not seem to be saving my preferences, is there a way to save settings then reload when the reinstall is complete ?
I have attached screenshots of my settings, for you to run your eye over, to see if the setup may be incorrect in the first place, but because there is a screen shot limit I will send as a second message.

thanks in advance Patrick H

Offline patrickhamilton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi Kirk

I'm having a number of issues with Photo Mechanic 6, and added to the very slow performance of the latest version,  IS adding to the frustration. I use PM 6 on two Macs - 1 iMac in my office and 1 new macbook pro. I have had to upgade to a new laptop when the logic board died 3 weeks ago, so I tranfered PM from my desktop Imac, since then I have had all of these issues on both machines - I have tried to keep both sets of preferences uniform, but both machines are displaying some very weird behaviour  Is it at all possible to keep PM settings in the cloud, which could then be accessed for multiple machines or do I need to keep two versions on two machines ?

1. Issues with cr2 files :  Thumbnails are showing different exposure. Is this because "combine RAW+JPEG into single thumbnail" is ticked? If so, these edited thumbnails are reacting inconsistently, annoying, not to mention dissconcerting. As you can see, the colour coded red files are the cr2 selects which have been edited and exported from lightroom - but other unedited files, appear to be display similar tone profile. Why ? This behaviour has only started to appear recently. see attached  1 thumbnail and render cache. note Enable RAW rendering is NOT ticked. Should it be ?

2. Preview Name acending :  Preview Name acending changes everytime I reopen PM. How do I save my default so I do not have to revert back to my preferred setting ? see attached  2 preview name ascending.

3. Soft Rotation Indicator : Why am I still seeing this ? I rarely use this and have it unticked, but I still see it. It also interfers with the ftp indicator, which is hidden behind the right hand rotate arrow. Also is it possible to keep the sent ftp indicator  when the folder is closed and reopened. This would be handy when revisting an send folder . Just a thought . see attached  3a + 3b soft rotation.

If I do need to reinstall PM because it does not seem to be saving my preferences, is there a way to save settings then reload when the reinstall is complete ?
I have attached screenshots of my settings, for you to run your eye over, to see if the setup may be incorrect in the first place, but because there is a screen shot limit I will send as a second message.

thanks in advance Patrick H

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 06:18:31 AM »
Hi Patrick,

There's no cloud solution from PM, but you can achieve this quite easily yourself. I keep my settings synchronised over multiple machines. I simply copy everything (except PMPath.dat, com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.registration*, and catalog_settings) from ~/Library/Preferences/ from one machine to the other. I use rsync for this so I only copy the changed files. This works very well and is quite easy to do.

I don't fully understand the problem. It doesn't look like you have any JPGs from those raws so that setting won't affect what you see. What you see in PM is the embedded JPG that is saved inside the CR2 (by the camera). The only way that can change is if it is updated by the editing software. Lightroom won't do this, but e.g. Canon DPP would.
But I'm a bit puzzled, what do you mean by “exported from Lightroom”? You wouldn't need that, normally, unless you create a JPG (e.g. to publish or to use inside PM to see your edits), but again, I see no JPGs (combined or no). So what did you export and where?

More interesting: it doesn't even work. I never noticed, but now I try it, it doesn't sort the navigator/favourites at all! @Kirk: Looks like a bug to me?

You showed the preference for the “Preview”, not for the Contact Sheet, however that one also doesn't work. The rotation marks are always shown when you hover. Interestingly, those for the Preview are never shown, regardless of the setting. @Kirk: Looks like a bug to me?

Copying should have worked though it is not the “official” way. The official way would be to Export your settings (you can select which ones) and then Import them on the other machine (use the Export… and Import… buttons in the Preferences dialog).

Enjoy,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 09:17:59 AM »
Patrick,

No, we do not offer Photo Mechanic preferences in the cloud.  You can export and import preferences from the Preferences dialog however.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Exporting_Preferences
http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Importing_Preferences

You would have to send me two images along with their XMP sidecar files in order for me to investigate the problem.

2. Preview Name ascending :  Preview Name ascending changes every time I reopen PM. How do I save my default so I do not have to revert back to my preferred setting ? see attached  2 preview name ascending.

If you want your sort order to always be ascending, you'll have to make it the default.  Right-click on any item in the Favorites or Navigator and choose "Preferences..." from the contextual menu.  Set your default sort order as desired and OK the dialog.

Note: the sort order only affects children of the root items, the root items themselves are not sorted.

I see no soft rotation indicator in your attached images.  What you are illustrating are the 'hover buttons' that appear whenever you hover your mouse over a thumbnail.  These buttons allow you to rotate your images, view/edit metadata, and preview the image.  They move wherever your mouse goes.  If you move your mouse between two images (the space in between them) then you'll see no buttons.

I think if you follow my instructions above, you'll find that everything is working properly, your problem with the hover buttons not withstanding.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 09:49:54 AM »
2. Preview Name ascending :  Preview Name ascending changes every time I reopen PM. How do I save my default so I do not have to revert back to my preferred setting ? see attached  2 preview name ascending.

If you want your sort order to always be ascending, you'll have to make it the default.  Right-click on any item in the Favorites or Navigator and choose "Preferences..." from the contextual menu.  Set your default sort order as desired and OK the dialog.

Note: the sort order only affects children of the root items, the root items themselves are not sorted.

::) Doh! Completely forgot that the sorting is only for the subitems, of course, since the order of the favourites-top-level is freely chosen and that of the navigator is determined by the order of the items in the Finder sidebar.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl