Author Topic: forward slash not working  (Read 1755 times)

Offline dcayers

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
forward slash not working
« on: July 19, 2019, 10:42:19 PM »
Trying to ingest into folder with name, when typing the forward slash, it becomes a backslash.
{year4}\{month0}\{day0}.
Whwere am I going wrong?
Nikon Shooter

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: forward slash not working
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 12:25:17 AM »
File/folder names are not allowed to have forward slashes. Also, on operating systems other than Windows, a forward slash is the folder delimiter (the backslash on Windows). That's why it's changed to a backslash for you. Use a different character, e.g. a -. Note, the colon (:) won't work either as that is also a forbidden file/folder name character (on Windows).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 12:54:46 AM »
...a forward slash is the folder delimiter (the backslash on Windows). That's why it's changed to a backslash for you.

Hmm, my Windows accepts both kinds of slash as folder delimiter, but perhaps the Windows variant of PM is stricter than Windows itself is.

It is not clear to me if the OP wants to address one folder named "2019/07/20" or a first folder "2019", a second sub folder "07" and a third sub sub folder "20".
--
Odd S.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 02:55:54 AM »
Hmm, my Windows accepts both kinds of slash as folder delimiter, but perhaps the Windows variant of PM is stricter than Windows itself is.
That's odd, all documentation on Windows filenames found on the internet (including the “official” documenation) mention the forward slash as forbidden part of a filename (just like e.g. <, >, :, etc., all of which are actually fine on Mac/Linux, even if a bit cumbersome for some).
My guess is that you can use it (Windows is becoming more Unix friendly in that way), but that underwater it is changed to a backslash. So it will still act as a directory level separator, not as a filename part.

It is not clear to me if the OP wants to address one folder named "2019/07/20" or a first folder "2019", a second sub folder "07" and a third sub sub folder "20".
I assumed he wanted them to form the name or otherwise he wouldn't have complained about the change to backslash.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl